nRF24L01+ HELP!

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum so I'm not quite sure the question is in the correct place!

Anyway, for my project I need to use a radio and I've gone for the nRF24L01+ with the antenna, over the past couple of weeks I've researched about it and tried to get it to work with the example code using the NRF24 library by maniacbug without any improvement. I've added an extra power source, tried capacitors ranging from 0.1uF to 100uF as well as the radiohead/mirf libraries. At which point I thought my module was broken (i might have connected it to 5V at some point by mistake :S). I then came across the printDetails() function in one of the example sketches and I get some output...(meaning it might not be broken?) but then when I type "T" in the serial box to begin transmission it says sending failed. I've posted pictures of both the output of printDetails() as well as the "sending failed".

I've got no idea what to do, if I should just ditch these modules and get new ones ( I got these off ebay)...any thoughts or ideas would be great!

PS. I was also given two other modules (the standard ones) but they don't work at all...printDetails just gives me all 0's (4/4 broken modules?? how unlucky can I be)

Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 21.04.13.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 21.04.22.png

If you want help you need to post your code.
And please use the code button </> so your code looks like this and is easy to copy to a text editor

I got my nRF24s working with this Tutorial

...R

Thanks for your reply. I've read that tutorial, the example sketch they provide was one of the first things I tried. I didn't post my code because it's just the "Getting Started" and "pingpair_ack"example sketch from the nrf24 library...

As a search through this forum will reveal, a number of people have recently been reporting trouble with modules bought on eBay. They are often defective, but 4/4 does seem particularly bad.

TheAthenian:
I didn't post my code because it's just the "Getting Started" and "pingpair_ack"example sketch from the nrf24 library...

It is much easier to help if the code is posted here rather than having to go to another website and then wondering "which one is he using".

And you would be surprised how many people use "exactly the code from the example" that they have just tweaked a little bit. :slight_smile:

...R

Thanks for your replies! the code with the printDetails() is the following:

/*
  // March 2014 - TMRh20 - Updated along with High Speed RF24 Library fork
  // Parts derived from examples by J. Coliz <maniacbug@ymail.com>
*/
/**
 * Example for efficient call-response using ack-payloads 
 * This example continues to make use of all the normal functionality of the radios including
 * the auto-ack and auto-retry features, but allows ack-payloads to be written optionally as well.
 * This allows very fast call-response communication, with the responding radio never having to 
 * switch out of Primary Receiver mode to send back a payload, but having the option to if wanting
 * to initiate communication instead of respond to a commmunication.
 */

#include <SPI.h>
#include "nRF24L01.h"
#include "RF24.h"
#include "printf.h"

// Hardware configuration: Set up nRF24L01 radio on SPI bus plus pins 7 & 8 
RF24 radio(7,8);

// Topology
const uint64_t pipes[2] = { 0xABCDABCD71LL, 0x544d52687CLL };              // Radio pipe addresses for the 2 nodes to communicate.

// Role management: Set up role.  This sketch uses the same software for all the nodes
// in this system.  Doing so greatly simplifies testing.  

typedef enum { role_ping_out = 1, role_pong_back } role_e;                 // The various roles supported by this sketch
const char* role_friendly_name[] = { "invalid", "Ping out", "Pong back"};  // The debug-friendly names of those roles
role_e role = role_pong_back;                                              // The role of the current running sketch

// A single byte to keep track of the data being sent back and forth
byte counter = 1;

void setup(){

Serial.begin(115200);
  printf_begin();
  Serial.print(F("\n\rRF24/examples/pingpair_ack/\n\rROLE: "));
  Serial.println(role_friendly_name[role]);
  Serial.println(F("*** PRESS 'T' to begin transmitting to the other node"));

// Setup and configure rf radio

radio.begin();
  radio.setAutoAck(1);                    // Ensure autoACK is enabled
  radio.enableAckPayload();               // Allow optional ack payloads
  radio.setRetries(0,15);                 // Smallest time between retries, max no. of retries
  radio.setPayloadSize(1);                // Here we are sending 1-byte payloads to test the call-response speed
  radio.openWritingPipe(pipes[1]);        // Both radios listen on the same pipes by default, and switch when writing
  radio.openReadingPipe(1,pipes[0]);
  radio.startListening();                 // Start listening
  radio.printDetails();                   // Dump the configuration of the rf unit for debugging
}

void loop(void) {

if (role == role_ping_out){

radio.stopListening();                                  // First, stop listening so we can talk.

printf("Now sending %d as payload. ",counter);
    byte gotByte;  
    unsigned long time = micros();                          // Take the time, and send it.  This will block until complete   
                                                            //Called when STANDBY-I mode is engaged (User is finished sending)
    if (!radio.write( &counter, 1 )){
      Serial.println(F("failed."));      
    }else{

if(!radio.available()){ 
        Serial.println(F("Blank Payload Received.")); 
      }else{
        while(radio.available() ){
          unsigned long tim = micros();
          radio.read( &gotByte, 1 );
          printf("Got response %d, round-trip delay: %lu microseconds\n\r",gotByte,tim-time);
          counter++;
        }
      }

}
    // Try again later
    delay(1000);
  }

// Pong back role.  Receive each packet, dump it out, and send it back

if ( role == role_pong_back ) {
    byte pipeNo;
    byte gotByte;                                       // Dump the payloads until we've gotten everything
    while( radio.available(&pipeNo)){
      radio.read( &gotByte, 1 );
      radio.writeAckPayload(pipeNo,&gotByte, 1 );    
   }
 }

// Change roles

if ( Serial.available() )
  {
    char c = toupper(Serial.read());
    if ( c == 'T' && role == role_pong_back )
    {
      Serial.println(F("*** CHANGING TO TRANSMIT ROLE -- PRESS 'R' TO SWITCH BACK"));

role = role_ping_out;                  // Become the primary transmitter (ping out)
      radio.openWritingPipe(pipes[0]);
      radio.openReadingPipe(1,pipes[1]);
    }
    else if ( c == 'R' && role == role_ping_out )
    {
      Serial.println(F("*** CHANGING TO RECEIVE ROLE -- PRESS 'T' TO SWITCH BACK"));

role = role_pong_back;                // Become the primary receiver (pong back)
       radio.openWritingPipe(pipes[1]);
       radio.openReadingPipe(1,pipes[0]);
       radio.startListening();
    }
  }
}

and I've also used the getting started code (which also doesnt work):

/*
* Getting Started example sketch for nRF24L01+ radios
* This is a very basic example of how to send data from one node to another
* Updated: Dec 2014 by TMRh20
*/

#include <SPI.h>
#include "RF24.h"

/****************** User Config ***************************/
/***      Set this radio as radio number 0 or 1         ***/
bool radioNumber = 0;

/* Hardware configuration: Set up nRF24L01 radio on SPI bus plus pins 7 & 8 */
RF24 radio(7,8);
/**********************************************************/

byte addresses[][6] = {"1Node","2Node"};

// Used to control whether this node is sending or receiving
bool role = 0;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println(F("RF24/examples/GettingStarted"));
  Serial.println(F("*** PRESS 'T' to begin transmitting to the other node"));

radio.begin();

// Set the PA Level low to prevent power supply related issues since this is a
 // getting_started sketch, and the likelihood of close proximity of the devices. RF24_PA_MAX is default.
  radio.setPALevel(RF24_PA_LOW);

// Open a writing and reading pipe on each radio, with opposite addresses
  if(radioNumber){
    radio.openWritingPipe(addresses[1]);
    radio.openReadingPipe(1,addresses[0]);
  }else{
    radio.openWritingPipe(addresses[0]);
    radio.openReadingPipe(1,addresses[1]);
  }

// Start the radio listening for data
  radio.startListening();
}

void loop() {

/****************** Ping Out Role ***************************/  
if (role == 1)  {

radio.stopListening();                                    // First, stop listening so we can talk.

Serial.println(F("Now sending"));

unsigned long time = micros();                             // Take the time, and send it.  This will block until complete
     if (!radio.write( &time, sizeof(unsigned long) )){
       Serial.println(F("failed"));
     }

radio.startListening();                                    // Now, continue listening

unsigned long started_waiting_at = micros();               // Set up a timeout period, get the current microseconds
    boolean timeout = false;                                   // Set up a variable to indicate if a response was received or not

while ( ! radio.available() ){                             // While nothing is received
      if (micros() - started_waiting_at > 200000 ){            // If waited longer than 200ms, indicate timeout and exit while loop
          timeout = true;
          break;
      }      
    }

if ( timeout ){                                             // Describe the results
        Serial.println(F("Failed, response timed out."));
    }else{
        unsigned long got_time;                                 // Grab the response, compare, and send to debugging spew
        radio.read( &got_time, sizeof(unsigned long) );
        unsigned long time = micros();

// Spew it
        Serial.print(F("Sent "));
        Serial.print(time);
        Serial.print(F(", Got response "));
        Serial.print(got_time);
        Serial.print(F(", Round-trip delay "));
        Serial.print(time-got_time);
        Serial.println(F(" microseconds"));
    }

// Try again 1s later
    delay(1000);
  }

/****************** Pong Back Role ***************************/

if ( role == 0 )
  {
    unsigned long got_time;

if( radio.available()){
                                                                    // Variable for the received timestamp
      while (radio.available()) {                                   // While there is data ready
        radio.read( &got_time, sizeof(unsigned long) );             // Get the payload
      }

radio.stopListening();                                        // First, stop listening so we can talk   
      radio.write( &got_time, sizeof(unsigned long) );              // Send the final one back.      
      radio.startListening();                                       // Now, resume listening so we catch the next packets.     
      Serial.print(F("Sent response "));
      Serial.println(got_time);  
   }
 }

/****************** Change Roles via Serial Commands ***************************/

if ( Serial.available() )
  {
    char c = toupper(Serial.read());
    if ( c == 'T' && role == 0 ){      
      Serial.println(F("*** CHANGING TO TRANSMIT ROLE -- PRESS 'R' TO SWITCH BACK"));
      role = 1;                  // Become the primary transmitter (ping out)

}else
    if ( c == 'R' && role == 1 ){
      Serial.println(F("*** CHANGING TO RECEIVE ROLE -- PRESS 'T' TO SWITCH BACK"));      
       role = 0;                // Become the primary receiver (pong back)
       radio.startListening();

}
  }

} // Loop

However I think I'm just going to get another two modules tomorrow from my local shop (even though I'm pretty sure they get them off ebay! :P)

I'm only familiar with the example in Reply #6.

What actually happens when you try it? (give full details please).

...R