Official site archive on DVD?

Any consideration of an arduino.cc site snapshot on DVD? Be great to have in case of no internet access or internet shutdown/segmentation. Perhaps for free, like erowid.org, or maybe for a fee, like rexresearch.com.

Well the site changes so often so maybe something like wikipedia that you can download and make some kind of updater and app that will allow a decent search and view of the pages.

I somehow doubt that the whole forum would fit on a DVD. Maybe if you removed the images...

Mowcius

Interesting idea.

I've got a 50mbps connection at home, I might grab the site and see how big it is.

Links to external iomages and sites would be a bit problematic - especially projects hosted somewhere else. You can guarantee that whatever problem you're having when you turn to the DVD for help will be answered in full on someone else's site.

All pictures and people's icons are external links, so things like schematics wouldn't show up off line. Also the pages are dynamic linking to a data base to get some of the information like the number of posts someone has made so it is not very amenable to putting on fixed media.

All pictures and people's icons are external links, so things like schematics wouldn't show up off line

Indeed but that would not be an issue most of the time I don't think. You could grab images off each page as they are shown rather than from the external links.

Also the pages are dynamic linking to a data base to get some of the information like the number of posts someone has made so it is not very amenable to putting on fixed media.

Agreed. it would not be easy to do and I think without a hell of a lot of work done on a decent search tool and interface it would not be easy to navigate.

On another related topic, how about an arduino wiki? One that is puplically editable and is in a common format for people to upload projects, info, libraries anything!

With a wiki format I think that even with all the projects and libraries and all other info, it could still be easy to navigate.

Mowcius

Well, I sort of liking the WIKI idea too.. Let me ramble a bit...

One of the complaints I had originally and I still see new arrivals mention it some times, is that while some of the offline books do good job of being an "intro to Arduino" there is a gap between those documents and what is online at Arduino CC.

I feel that most of the GAP is related to what is in the Playground (In my opinion) and also what is in the forum as "solutions" to problems.

A lot of these solutions could become wiki entries... as part is a more useful "frequently asked questions" section, for example.

I agree, pwillard.

I'm still fairly new having not touched electronics since I was at school (and then only briefly). There certainly is a gap between where my newbie guide stopped and this place began.

What I'd still really like to see on a wiki is more about components. Basic info on how they're wired, how they work and a sketch to show the basics on how they work

Oomlout.co.uk are amazing for this - when they sell stuff it comes with all the bits you need to run it (so if you buy an LCD display you get a 10k pot), a pinout for it and a link to a circuit diagram, an overlay sheet for a breadboard to print so you can't cock up putting it together and a bit of code to show you how to get it working. It's just a shame their product range is so small!

You could probably make your own image with judicious use of wget and some scripting. It wouldn't be easy, and you would have to be careful on the spidering, and you would need to do a massive amount of cleanup when done (scripts are your friend!), but it could be done. I've done it myself for smaller sites that I wanted to keep in case they went down (which invariably they did and disappeared). Setting it up to be searchable wouldn't be easy, though - but there are tools for that as well...

Well we could easily run a wiki with MediaWiki. I would do this if I didn't have such a tiny limit on server storage space.

Mowcius

I have plenty of space available to host a wiki… Though it is hosted with Dreamhost, so take that however you want :slight_smile:

If this idea gets off the ground, I’d be more than willing to help out…