OTA_Mode - No Network port is shown !

Hi guys.

I’ve worked 2 days ago to flash my esp Over The Air.
Uploaded BasicOTA official sketch, All things went fine. Tested file uploading with success.

Today I went to develop the code and merge it in a real project. but after i upload it by serial, Network port won’t show anymore (Only Serial) !

So tried back to BasicOTA sketch, with no success.

I’ve dived into this issue and reached a good point to the final solution.

See @krzychb’s response , I tried a similar command below, See results :

OTA uploading is success! but until now there’s no Network port is shown at Arduino IDE.

I’ve restarted Arduino IDE many times with no success.
Platform
Hardware: [ESP8266 NodeMCU 1.0 v3]
Development Env: [Arduino IDE 1.8.7]
Operating System: [Windows 10 x64]
Settings in IDE

Things i tried :
-reset ESP after the serial uploading.
-restart PC
-restart Arduino IDE after the serial upload.
-disabled firewall -Then created rules-.

My esp8266’s core is updated to last version (2.4.2)

Thanks in advance
Hamza Hajeir

IDK but i guess that i performed an action while trying to solve this issue :

that could been caused the problem.

which is :
-delete Arduino15 directory -by cutting- (~/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Arduino15) to another directory.
then started arduino ide without success (of that problem). So i return all the folder back by replacing.

The only file was contained before restoration is preferences.txt .

Any help!

I'm not much help but I'm having the same problem. I had one computer running ver 1.8.2 and one running 1.8.7. The one running 1.8.2 could see my device in the network and could flash it. In the computer running 1.8.7, it does not show up. Could it be that the ArduinoOTA library is broke with the new version of Arduino?

Hello,

Everything seems normal (IDE 1.8.7), as it always has been,

I was also very bothered with the operating mode of the system used to find the OTA port, but it is normal.

In the end you get used to it, the first step is to wait for ESP to be available on the network, you can try to ping your IP address, if you know, if it is a fixed IP, it may be easier.

Only after ESP is online, open the IDE.

ota.png

My esp has been online for hours but still not showing up. Like I said, one computer with v 1.8.2 shows it just fine but 1.8.7 doesn’t. It’s good to see that it does work in v 1.8.7 but I’m still confused why mine and the OPs doesn’t show up.

dreed75:
My esp has been online for hours but still not showing up. Like I said, one computer with v 1.8.2 shows it just fine but 1.8.7 doesn't. It's good to see that it does work in v 1.8.7 but I'm still confused why mine and the OPs doesn't show up.

What version of Python is running on your computer?

ESP8266 OTA Updates with Arduino IDE | Over the Air

[ESP8266] Alternative to serial monitor: Wifi Manager + ArduinoOTA + Telnet

rtek1000:
What version of Python is running on your computer?

ESP8266 OTA Updates with Arduino IDE | Over the Air

[ESP8266] Alternative to serial monitor: Wifi Manager + ArduinoOTA + Telnet

I have 2.7 on both computers. I also shot myself in the foot...I upgraded Arduino IDE on the computer that showed my esp just fine. Now it is as broke as the other computer that is running 1.8.7.

dreed75:
I upgraded Arduino IDE on the computer that showed my esp just fine. Now it is as broke as the other computer that is running 1.8.7.

Well, if you want you could reinstall some old version:

Previous IDE Releases

But I have to tell you that I already had problems with my routers too, one of them was repeater, and this was blocking something, I changed that repeater, and everything became more stable.

How is your internal network configured? Do you have many repeaters?

rtek1000:
Well, if you want you could reinstall some old version:

Previous IDE Releases

But I have to tell you that I already had problems with my routers too, one of them was repeater, and this was blocking something, I changed that repeater, and everything became more stable.

How is your internal network configured? Do you have many repeaters?

I have just one wireless router and no repeaters. I may just have to downgrade but it doesn't make sense that I'd have to. Also, I think python is only used to actually upload the script and has nothing to do with the GUI in the IDE.

Well I rebooted my router just for fun since that's the first I had heard of there possibly being network issues. Both of my ESP12s show up in the IDE now :). Thanks for the tip!

dreed75:
Well I rebooted my router just for fun since that's the first I had heard of there possibly being network issues. Both of my ESP12s show up in the IDE now :). Thanks for the tip!

Very well!

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title :wink:

rtek1000:
Very well!

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title :wink:

Well it worked for me but I can't speak for the OP.

dreed75:
Well it worked for me but I can't speak for the OP.

Ops! :-[

Had the same problem and rebooting the rooter did the trick My router is Asus RT-AC87U. I'd like to know if you also (those of you for whom it worked that way) , by chance, own an Asus router of similar type, so maybe we can open a ticket on Asus's website to let them know of the issue.

Found this discussion after attempting to perform an OTA upload after a LONG break. I am also affected by the issue where the network port doesn't appear in the menu. To make this short, here's what I found out:

• Arduino IDE versions 1.8.6, 1.8.7, 1.8.8 and 1.8.9 will NOT show my ESP8266 node in the network port list
  • Arduino IDE versions 1.8.3 as well as 1.8.5 work correctly and instantly show the network port and are able to successfully perform an OTA upgrade
    I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this until I recalled I originally used 1.8.3 and then I tried to find the newest working version, which turned out to be 1.8.5. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening and whether this is a known issue (or whether it should be submitted)? I am on Windows 10 and version 1.8.5 works OK with both Python 2.7 as well as 3.7. Thanks for any pointers!

I also have/had the same problem. Im on Arduino 1.8.5 on one PC and 1.8.9 on another. After an OTA upload to my ESP devices today neither PC showed a complete Network list of all my ESP8266 devices and connectivity to the devices was very hit and miss. But I've just managed to get them all back and perform another OTA update on them all to hopefully sort it out.
Firstly a Router (BT hub) reboot sorted out getting the network list back visible in Arduino, but Im pretty sure the main problem was the update I did earlier on today to all my ESP devices, this update contained an improvement (or so I thought) to include ESP8266WiFiMulti.h; this was meant to allow me to upgrade my Router to a new "improved" one I just got from BT. I upgraded the Arduino sketch for the ESP devices to set up WiFiMulti to include both the old and the new Router SSID & Password combinations so all my devices would automatically connect to either AP and work as normal when I swapped the router over to the new one. It was after this update, and before Id even swapped over the router, that all the problems started with intermittent access to all my devices and I was unable to reconnect to any of them in the Arduino IDE to do another OTA (some of my devices are in the walls/ceilings so FTDI was not going to be an easy option).
All my devices have had a rock solid connection up until today with the old firmware sketch so it had to be this change I did in the sketch to include ESP8266WiFiMulti.h functionality.
After rebooting the router I managed to get the devices to show up again and managed to revert them all back to the old sketch with just a single WiFi connection identified. It all seem stable now.
Personally I think its a problem with ESP8266WiFiMulti.h functionality.

Interesting findings Vince... In my case it doesn't seem to be ESP8266WiFiMulti or router related. I'm not using this library in my pretty simple sketch, and the problems were reproducible with the old firmware/sketch that worked reliably in Arduino IDE versions 1.8.5 and earlier. Rebooting the TP-Link WR841N didn't have any effect in my case.

Hi

Installing / reinstalling Python might make it work:

[SETUP] ESP8266 Over The Air (OTA) Programming In Arduino IDE

rtek1000:
Hi

Installing / reinstalling Python might make it work:

[SETUP] ESP8266 Over The Air (OTA) Programming In Arduino IDE

Actually, Python was my first suspect, as I have recently upgraded from 3.5.0 to 3.7.2 but testing with different python versions made no difference in my case. I did this before trying the different Arduino IDE versions.