Potentiometer-Arduino-Actuator

If anyone can help me to control the actuator(12v) control by potentiometer, using Arduino? I need to mimic the motion of actuaotr using potentiometer, i dont have computer programming background if anyone can help me with that, that would be awsome.. Thanks

If anyone can help me to control the actuator(12v) control by potentiometer, using Arduino? I need to mimic the motion of actuaotr using potentiometer, i dont have computer programming background if anyone can help me with that, that would be awsome.. Thanks

Probably, but first go back and read the sticky threads - there are there for a good reason.

msaleem1: I need to mimic the motion of actuaotr using potentiometer

I'm not sure what that means. You want to remove the (manually operated) potentiometer and replace it with an Arduino so that the actuator can be controlled by the Arduino? That's possible by using a digital potentiometer, or by using a servo/stepper/other actuator to physically move the existing mechanical potentiometer. Depending what circuit the potentiometer is connected to, it may even be possible to use a later Arduino with a built-in DAC output instead.

Exactly, i want to control actuator using potentiometer, i m going to use arduino for that but due to lck of programming knowledge i am not able to do that..

Hi, can you tell us the make and model of the actuator. I presume that you want position control using the potentiometer. With the pot fully ccw the actuator is say fully in, fully cw then it fully extended. In this case you will have to get a reading from the actuator indicating where it is, the arduino will read this value via an analog pin. The potentiometer will provide a voltage indicating where you want the actuator to be, the arduino will read this value via another analog pin. The arduino will then compare the two voltages and decide which way to drive actuator. As the actuator is driven the arduino constantly recalculates the amount of drive needed until the actuator reaches the desired spot and stops. Thats the basics, as you go along various bugs will have to be worked out. You will need to write small bits of program to get each section working before putting it all together. I would suggest you look up in the playground, on this site , reading a voltage from a potentiometer and experiment with the suggested sketches.

Tom... :)

Do you have a link to the actuator you are using? Does the actuator have an internal pot? Do you plan to drive the actuator using an h-bridge or relays?

H-Bridge, and its servo CITY actuator, 2 inch stroke with a speed of 2inch/sec. here is the link, http://www.servocity.com/html/25_lbs__thrust_linear_actuator.html

Here is the linnk to the actuator, http://www.servocity.com/html/25_lbs__thrust_linear_actuator.html

Its a built in potentiometer actuator, can u explain me how can i mimic the motion of actuaotr with a potentiometer?

@msaleem1, please do not cross-post.