Powering the Arduino UNO

Regarding the Arduino UNO board, is the obvious regulated power receptacle port the only way to power this board safely (using the onboard voltage regulator) or can the power be applied to one of the 5 volt pins including one of the 6 ICSP pins in the center along the back edge (opposite of the power receptacle) or the one of the 6 pins immediately behind the USB port?

I’m wanting to use the voltage regulating capabilities of the board.

Yes you can use VIN etc.

Just be aware that some of them BYPASS the regulator.

Also be aware that the regulator has a limited capacity too, so poking a lot of voltage and or current through it will pop it like bubble wrap.

If using the onboard regulator try keep the voltage between 7-10 volts MAX !

ballscrewbob:
Yes you can use VIN etc.

Just be aware that some of them BYPASS the regulator.

Which one does not bypass the regulator?

I can find 2 5 Volt pins on the board. 1 is the pin in the 'POWER' group, then there is the 5 volts in the ICSP group of pins.

If using the 5V in the 'POWER' group go to the regulator?

The 5V pin is the output of the regulator. It's said that you can supply a regulated 5V to that pin (or the icsp pin for that matter).

sterretje:
The 5V pin is the output of the regulator. It's said that you can supply a regulated 5V to that pin (or the icsp pin for that matter).

So, If I understand you, you are saying that there is no pin on the UNO board that will use the voltage regulator for input except for the barrel connector. If I use any if the 5V pins, I'll have to provide my own voltage regulator?

The Barrel and the Vin pin will use the voltage regulator; you will need to provide at least 7V to those (and preferably not more than 12V).

You can provide 5V to the 5V pin from e.g. a cellphone charger or dedicated power supply; depends on your needs. I've never used that approach though. And I would be carefull using both USB from PC and power on the 5V pin, but that is me.

ballscrewbob:
Yes you can use VIN etc.

Thanks this fixed my problem trying to power UNO with nodemcu v3