Problem getting UNO WiFi talking to IDE - Linux

Hi - I am new to Arduino.

I have Linux Mint 19.3 MATE - and downloaded the IDE using snap.

From snap list…
arduino-mhall119 1.8.5 5 stable mhall119

The UNO seems to power up OK - and seems to have been allocated to /dev/ttyUSB0 ok.

The next step would be to Tools/ Get board Info - but “Native Serial Port, can’t obtain info” (ref attachment)

Dmesg has …

audit: type=1400 audit(1577806316.613:19607): apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“open” profile=“snap.arduino-mhall119.arduino” name="/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/busnum" pid=24356 comm=“java” requested_mask=“r” denied_mask=“r” fsuid=1000 ouid=0

I suspect Apparmor is causing the problem. I tried to stopping the Apparmor service but no change.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Paul

Screenshot at 2019-12-31 23-52-52.png

Thanks juraj - I did as per the link suggestion.

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Jan 1 07:00 /dev/ttyUSB0

And then
sudo usermod -a -G dialout paul

But no change

[ 1780.719206] kauditd_printk_skb: 2 callbacks suppressed
[ 1780.719211] audit: type=1400 audit(1577833653.434:131): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.arduino-mhall119.arduino" name="/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-4/busnum" pid=7044 comm="java" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0

I will keep digging - it's a learning curve for me but I suspect it's something to do with linux snap and permissions.
apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.arduino-mhall119.arduino"

Next step. I will take linux snap out of the equation and download the IDE conventionally.

Paul

ph28:
Thanks juraj - I did as per the link suggestion.

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Jan 1 07:00 /dev/ttyUSB0

And then
sudo usermod -a -G dialout paul

and did you logout and login?

Hi juraj,

Yes - I logged in & out.

I removed the Linux snap installation and downloaded & installed the tarball arduino-1.8.10-linux64.tar
The apparmor="DENIED" sympton has gone and tools /board info now seems to work.

BN: Unknown board
VID: 1A86
PID: 7523
SN: Upload any sketch to obtain it

I will look into the linux mint snap problem later and report back in I find anything significant.
I suspect a permissions issue or apparmor config issue.

I think I am on to a new problem now.
If I can't figure it out - I will post on the bootloader/avrdude thread.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

Probably works right out the box with windows - so this is all a little self-inflicted working with linux.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

I had no problems starting with Arduino on Linux.
Don't upload to Uno WiFi Rev 2 as to Uno. Install the megaavr boards package and select Uno WiFi Rev 2.

Hi juraj,

Uno now running blink. Great.

It was self inflicted - someone didn't check the UNO dip switch settings.
No problem with linux.

Just for the record - I'll reload snap arduino IDE and see if I confirm it was OK or not.

Thanks for your help. Post closed.

Paul

ph28:
Hi juraj,

Uno now running blink. Great.

It was self inflicted - someone didn't check the UNO dip switch settings.
No problem with linux.

Just for the record - I'll reload snap arduino IDE and see if I confirm it was OK or not.

Thanks for your help. Post closed.

Paul

you have the Robotfyn Uno+WiFi?
so not Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2

Hi Juraj,

you have the Robotfyn Uno+WiFi?
so not Arduino Uno WiFi Rev 2

Quite frankly - I'm not sure what it is - other than UNO with WiFi. No revision identification.
The PCB is silkscreened - but there is no visible PCB ref/revision code.

I suspect that it's probably a custom/modified Arduino design - as it doesn't have the Arduino trademark.
The instructions advocate Tools->Board->Arduino Uno

Jaycar is an Australian electronics retail shop.

Anyway it seems ok so far.

So I had two issues -

1/ linux snap arduino install does not work 100% - but still might be user error
a. I re-checked linux snap install of IDE and it failed again with the apparmor="DENIED" issue (as before).
b. Reinstalled IDE 1.8.10 via install.sh - and all good.

• so it seems evident that there's an issue with apparmor config in linux mint?
  • snap arduino install might work fine with other linux distros ?
  • snap seemed like a good idea - but nothing wrong with install.sh

2/ User RTFM error in arduino dip sw set up.

Thanks

Paul.

it was developed and is manufactured by Robotdyn

Thanks - now I have a schematic.

From the Jaycar unit silkscreen - I'd say what I have is a robotdyn counterfeit.

https://robotdyn.com/how-to-buy/bewareofcounterfeit.html

I recommend not to switch the dip switches to often. they break after time. put some firmware in esp8266 and use the corresponding networking library in ATmega.

or if you want to write a sketch for esp8266, then add ArduinoOTA library to the sketch and upload from IDE to esp8266 over WiFi.

to have hardware Serial of ATmega free for upload and Serial Monitor, you can use SoftwareSerial as usual with Uno and esp8266. wire some pins of Uno to RX TX of the esp8266 on the esp8266 header on the board

Thanks