Processing a serial string

Hi all,

I'm looking at a way to sniff serial data from the arduino and enable an output whenever a key phrase is found. For example, say I want to de-activate a lock whenever the code 12ab3 is sent, but I sent receive a message like "please unlock the door code is 12ab3 time is 15h13min..."

How could this be done?

Have a look at Serial input basics

My question is when a given string is found on the serial data, mixed with something else without any deliminator characters.

In my case I'm looking for the passkey 12ab3, for example, but I have other text being sent before any termination characters like a comma, \CR or \n. I didn't found any (practical) option to extract my code, nor can I change the source to add strings. As such I use the bit of code below which checks every character, but surely there's a more user friendly alternative?

void loop() 
{
  if(Serial.available() >0)
  {   
    inchar=Serial.read(); 
    if (inchar=='1')
    {
      delay(10);
      inchar=Serial.read(); 
      if (inchar=='2')
      {
        delay(10);
        inchar=Serial.read(); 
        if (inchar=='a')
        {
          delay(10);
          inchar=Serial.read(); 
          if (inchar=='b')
          {
            delay(10);
            inchar=Serial.read(); 
            if (inchar=='3')
                {
                        // now the key is matched, do something
                        doSomething();
                }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

Python has a function find() that finds a string of chars in another string. I suspect C++ has something similar.

...R

mixed with something else without any deliminator characters.

Spaces ARE delimiter characters.

True, any character can be defined as a delimiter if so wanted, but I don't always have spaces either, and checking for every combination would be more troublesome than my current code.

Sticking with the original question, I would be interested in Robin's suggestion, if anyone has an idea what that function will be...

Another question, how can I use arduino to send this?

Serial print("my text"mytext"");

Notice the double ""

how can I use arduino to send this?

Serial print("my text\"mytext\"");

casemod: True, any character can be defined as a delimiter if so wanted, but I don't always have spaces either, and checking for every combination would be more troublesome than my current code.

Sticking with the original question, I would be interested in Robin's suggestion, if anyone has an idea what that function will be...

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/cstring/strstr/

Delta_G:

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/cstring/strstr/

It was kind of you to do that. I had assumed the OP would do a little work.

...R