Program will not compile

Confused.

I finely got to a point where I am ready to run some code. Downloaded and installed the IDE (I run Linux). I opened the Examples folder and loaded the "Blink" program into the Sketch IDE. Then tried to upload the program and received the following:

Arduino: 1.8.4 (Linux), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

/usr/share/arduino/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware /usr/share/arduino/hardware -built-in-libraries /usr/share/arduino/libraries -libraries /home/jwright/Arduino/libraries -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -ide-version=10804 -build-path /tmp/arduino_build_600914 -warnings=none -build-cache /tmp/arduino_cache_778644 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose /usr/share/arduino/examples/01.Basics/Blink/Blink.ino Parameter 'tools' is mandatory Usage of /usr/share/arduino/arduino-builder: -build-cache string builds of 'core.a' are saved into this folder to be cached and reused -build-options-file string Instead of specifying --hardware, --tools etc every time, you can load all such options from a file -build-path string build path -built-in-libraries value Specify a built-in 'libraries' folder. These are low priority libraries. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple built-in 'libraries' folders -compile compiles the given sketch -core-api-version string version of core APIs (used to populate ARDUINO #define) (default "10600") -debug-level int Turns on debugging messages. The higher, the chattier (default 5) -dump-prefs dumps build properties used when compiling -fqbn string fully qualified board name -hardware value Specify a 'hardware' folder. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple 'hardware' folders -ide-version string [deprecated] use 'core-api-version' instead (default "10600") -libraries value Specify a 'libraries' folder. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple 'libraries' folders -logger string Sets type of logger. Available values are 'human', 'machine' (default "human") -prefs value Specify a custom preference. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple custom preferences -preprocess preprocess the given sketch -quiet if 'true' doesn't print any warnings or progress or whatever -tools value Specify a 'tools' folder. Can be added multiple times for specifying multiple 'tools' folders -verbose if 'true' prints lots of stuff -version prints version and exits -vid-pid string specify to use vid/pid specific build properties, as defined in boards.txt -warnings string Sets warnings level. Available values are 'none', 'default', 'more' and 'all'

Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

I have absolutely no idea what could be wrong, not very descriptive error message.

Not as many linux helpers, but make it easyier for them...

Put your error text into a block

Just a guess, but have you selected the correct target board and serial port in the toolchain?

lastchancename:
Not as many linux helpers, but make it easyier for them…
Just a guess, but have you selected the correct target board and serial port in the toolchain?

Yes, I did check, the only option was usb. The board is a UNO which is what it defaulted to when I loaded the code. When I plug the USB cable into the board I get the on light and a green light labeled “L”.

I looks like something went wrong with your installation. The Arduino IDE should pass the toolchain folder location to arduino-builder via the -tools option but that is missing for some reason. I would try uninstalling and then reinstalling. You might as well update to Arduino IDE 1.8.5 while you're at it.

Make sure to use the official IDE downloaded from: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software There are some modified unofficial versions of the Arduino IDE available that have problems.

Hi, Don't try upload. Try "Verify". See if you get any errors. OR As suggested, reload the IDE.

Tom... :)

TomGeorge: Hi, Don't try upload. Try "Verify". See if you get any errors. OR As suggested, reload the IDE.

Tom... :)

Ok, my first attempt to fix this was to build a new computer and load platformio-ide addon to atom. It worked ok, but trying to get all the libraries straight was turning into more of a problem than it was worth. So uninstall atom and try Arduino again. Lo and Behold it works. I have no idea why, but the problem is solved for now.

Many thanks for all the suggestions and help