project 4 digit 7 segment clock

hi everyone im a beginner to arduino with limited programming exp in c++ but am trying to build a clock as a first project using rtc DS3231 and 4 digit 7 segment display going to use 2 shift registers 74hc595 for the display but have no clue on how to interface the rtc with the 4 digit 7 segment display i only know how to interface with the lcd at the moment

What have you done in programming?

Have you Googled 'ds3231 arduino 7 segment'

just basics in arduino projects handbook by mark geddes this will be my first project my rtc already has current time and date setup but i dont know how to display it on the 4 digit 7 segment at the moment

still learning code as i gg what i need to know is how to get hours mins secs from rtc to display on the seven segment im going to keep on it till i can work it out but would like some pointers not spoilers thanks

Look at sketches that send a counter variable to the 7 segment display.
There will be an array you access which can convert a number into a segment pattern.

When you get that working, it is a simple matter of adding the DS3231 section and send hours and minutes to the 7 segment code.

Of course, I tend to recommend using a proper display driver based on the MAX7219.

Actually, just use one of these:

Uses a TM1637, not a MAX7219 but the code is readily available.

Proper ?
Oh... you mean easy. OK

No, I actually mean proper.

An IC designed for the purpose, which is able to deliver adequate multiplexing drive to the display within its ratings - unlike the 74HC595s. Something you would reasonably require in a "production" version.

Now since it also performs the multiplexing, it is easier, and delays in the code do not generate flicker, which I would consider another "proper" aspect.

Oh... you mean easy. OK

Are you implying you should do everything using discrete components?

xostarfoxox:
still learning code as i gg what i need to know is how to get hours mins secs from rtc to display on the seven segment im going to keep on it till i can work it out but would like some pointers not spoilers thanks

Break it into two problems. Can you display numbers to the seven segments? Learn to do that, forget the RTC, just focus on getting numbers to show up on the RTC.

Then, can you read the RTC. Forget the 7seg for a minute. Just focus on being able to read in from the RTC and get numbers for hours, minutes, and seconds.

Then put the two ideas together. If you know how to get numbers from the RTC and you know how to put numbers on the 7segs, then all you have to do is get the numbers and display them.

thanks delta_g i can now display numbers 1234 on the 4 digit seven segment display quite easy and but still dont know hot to interface it with rtc im going to give up and ask for some spoilers if any one can help me out a bit also went with basic rtc for now ds1302 module

xostarfoxox:
thanks delta_g i can now display numbers 1234 on the 4 digit seven segment display quite easy and but still dont know hot to interface it with rtc im going to give up and ask for some spoilers if any one can help me out a bit also went with basic rtc for now ds1302 module

Show us this sketch as is, we can direct you once we see it.

xostarfoxox:

Forget the 7 segment for a minute then. Can you get the time into the Arduino and display it on the serial monitor?

xostarfoxox:
... ds1302 module

That seems like the most difficult rtc to use (there is a reason they are so cheap!) DS1307 or 3231 uses I2C with lots of support and an existing software base. 3234 uses SPI, also a well known bus protocol. There is a playground page on the 1302, here, including a wiring diagram and an example sketch. You should be able to do what Delta_G suggested using the info on that page.

Actually, if you write this using the Time library, you can develop a working app and then add the RTC with only about ten lines of code later (assuming the RTC library has an appropriate get time function). The timekeeping will work, but with no battery backup and not much accuracy.