Race Car Telemetry, Data Logging and Display Dreams

I'm researching the feasibility of what I think is possible. I work in telecom, I have a decent amount of experience with physical layer communications, strong abilities in mechanical fabrication, willing to learn and experiment with coding and new things to me.

The goal of this project is as follows:
Interface with an OBD1 BMW E36 engine and basic DME (ECU) functions
Interface with added sensors as needed, steering, brake pressures (each corner or front/rear) suspension (load cells/travel)
Log data by channel for readouts after running
Display critical data and alarms, speed(actual), tach(actual), oil pressure (alarm mainly), oil temp (alarm mainly), water temp (alarm) and.....

If I'm dreaming big I may as well mention I think a heads up display either projected on the windshield, or rigging up a helmet mounted "Arduino Glass" option would be awesome.

Real time data transmission to the pit lane would be awesome, but I don't know of many options that are feasible considering budget.

My racecar will run sportscar sprint and endurance races. Ranging from ~30-40 minutes to 25 hour races over a variety of courses, with elevation and obstructions from LOS to pit lane.

My thoughts are I could make most of this a reality for well under the $2,000+ options from AEM, Aim and other OEMs in the market.

I'm really curious and open to some more experienced opinions.

What are your thoughts???

Sounds like an ambitious project!

You can interface with the OBD port directly or you can buy a high-ish end OBD bluetooth scanner (i.e. this one) and interface with it via a bluetooth-to-UART adapter such as an HC-06 or HC-05. The first option is more risky in terms of resetting your car diagnostics computer (or generally messing up something in the car) but the second option might not give you the data resolution you need.

Funny enough, I'm making an Arduino based HUD for my car that displays speed and RPM data using an OBD scanner. Here is a link to my build log. Here is a link to the software library I've started to write for interfacing with OBD scanners (emphasis on the ELM327-based scanners).

Can you list each exact pieces of info and what sample rates you want?

Your project sounds awesome. But looking at the link you sent, it appears to be OBD2, which won’t help me much. To be clear, the monitoring/logging/display is passive to engine operations and can theoretically be done outside of the obd/ecu/dme of the engine and just grab independent signals. I figured since the onboard has systems to monitor internally, i could piggyback and sample existing sensors and equipment as needed.

For the rates i don’t think anything would need to be over 10hz other than tach, which would need to be much higher. Worst case Ontario the tach can be a traditional gauge on my dash. Pic included prior to getting it anodized.

Thanks for the reply!

ZFG_CREW26:
But looking at the link you sent, it appears to be OBD2, which won't help me much.

Oops, OBDI not OBDII...

Looks like there aren't a lot of COTS options in terms of bluetooth OBDI scanners, so you probably need to sample the signals directly.

ZFG_CREW26:
To be clear, the monitoring/logging/display is passive to engine operations and can theoretically be done outside of the obd/ecu/dme of the engine and just grab independent signals.

Sounds simple enough as long as you know what wires have the right signals and know how to decode the signal levels (etc). I can't provide much more info than that.