rc light controller

I’m new to the arduino and have been loving my learning process. I have been watching video tutorials and doing the samples codes and circuits for about the past week. I finally decided it was time to write my first sketch.
I decided my first project would be a led controller for my RC car, and the best place to start would be with using a 2 axis joystick and push button to mimic the eventual input from the RC Tx.
The pushbutton is to change headlight mode from, off/low beam/ high beam/ back to off, and the 2 axis joystick will operate brake/reverse and left/right turn signal leds.
I changed code and variables several times to get current setup. Currently, when I plug in the usb, the arduino will automatically start cycling through off/low/high and repeat indefinitely, with the x,y joystick with builtin pushbutton. Previously, I had a separate pushbutton. The code wouldn’t run until first input. But it would cycle two modes at a time instead of 1. ive adjusted delay from (5) to (1000). >(60)ish fixed debounce issue with first switch. Past that, would just noticeably affect println time.
I realize that I currently have unused variable ints. Other than that, I am new and would appreciate input on my coding format, and my coding problem.
Thanks in advance

rc_lights2.ino (2.2 KB)

I apologize. Im not aware of how to have the sketch show without having to download it.

You can use the code tags button, </>, on the menu above.

Put you code in the box that opens.

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html then look down to item #7 about how to post your code. It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Thanks.. Tom.. :)