Repurpose analogue alarm clock for Arduino?

Hi guys

Would it be possible for me to take apart an old battery operated travel alarm clock and repurpose its use for Arduino? Basically I want a clock with hands, but I'd like the alarm function to be an Arduino sequence instead of an annoying beep. Setting the time via a wifi board is clearly a no-go, I've read enough people wanting to do this and unless the clock is big I'll never get stepper motors small enough to do the job. But could I use the analogue clock's alarm by instead of it triggering a beep, it tells the Arduino sequence to begin instead?

Thanks all,

Chris

ChrisFrost: Hi guys

Would it be possible for me to take apart an old battery operated travel alarm clock and repurpose its use for Arduino? Basically I want a clock with hands, but I'd like the alarm function to be an Arduino sequence instead of an annoying beep. Setting the time via a wifi board is clearly a no-go, I've read enough people wanting to do this and unless the clock is big I'll never get stepper motors small enough to do the job. But could I use the analogue clock's alarm by instead of it triggering a beep, it tells the Arduino sequence to begin instead?

Thanks all,

Chris

Use your DVM to measure the voltage at the beeper and see if it changes when the clock beeps. If it does, there is a place to use an Arduino analog pin to monitor the voltage and do something when the beep occurs.

Paul

Wonderful, thank you!

There's a switch somewhere in the clock that is triggered by the hands and that in turn starts the clock's alarm. Maybe you can access this, disconnect it from the internal electronics, connect it to your own.

I’ll see if I can find it, thanks!