RGB table w/ TLC5940, matrix vs seperate channels?

;D I am trying to make a RGB coffee table and i am just wondering...

According to Joe's[?] wonderful project http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1266369410/0 It seems like he sets up the whole coffee table as a matrix. crossing the 16 output from TLC5940 and the 3 Red-Green-Blue alternating cycle output to create 16 seperate PMW colors. But cycling through these Red-Green-Blue wires, wouldn't it mess with the PMW pulse or creates flickers or.... not using the LEDs' brightness potential?

What about output each channel of the TLC5940 to a LED pin? I understand the offside would be that it uses three times more TLC5940; but is there any other disadvantages?

I hope you understand what i am asking :D i apologize for my noob-ness and lack of clarity. i would love to hear some advantage / disadvantage to the two approachs greatly appreciated. :)

edit** sorry, i just realized there's a troubleshooting / interface forum, perhaps this was better posted there.

and by crossing TLC5940 and the RGB alternating cycle, wouldnt it require the Arduino to constantly looping R-G-B and making it incapable to executing other programs?

:o

wouldnt it require the Arduino to constantly looping R-G-B

Yes

making it incapable to executing other programs?

No there is time left to do other things.

What about output each channel of the TLC5940 to a LED pin

The only down side is, as you said, it takes more chips.

wouldn’t it mess with the PMW pulse or creates flickers

You have to interleave the TLC load stuff so that it doesn’t mess with it.

not using the LEDs’ brightness potential?

Yes that is true ans it is only on one third of the time it will only be producing one third the brightness (as the eye is logarithmic it won’t look a third as bright) You can compensate for this by putting more current through the LED than it could normally stand on a continuous basis.

You are talking about 3 to 1 multiplexing, I have done 4 to 1 in this project:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Mini_Monome.html

wow, thanks dude!

answered all my questions! :D