SD cards 2GB or more

Can Arduino read SD cards with more than 2GB memory?

I have a 64GB SD Card but in the project that I am trying, I was told I need only SD cards with 2GB or less because Arduino cant read them.

But its 2024 already, surely arduino can read more than 2GB SD cards right?

From memory, I think the limit is related to the SD library used. The standard SD library will handle cards up to 32GB. For a 64GB card I think there's an alternative library.

1 Like

Sad but true, but IMHO if you need a larger storage on a small microcontroller like Arduino, you have wrong/weird expectations from it, as it can't effectively handle large bunches of data.
If you plan having a lot of data coming from Arduino, it's 2024, so you better plan to store it somewhere else, like remote storage (e.g. via FTP to NAS) or something able to store and analyze large quantity of data (like pushing it to a database or to ThingSpeak).

So, the question is: why you think you need more than 2GB of storage?

1 Like

Arduinos using the SD.h library should be able to handle SD and SDHC cards, which should take you to 32GB, but not SDXC. The lable on the card should say which it is.

But I think the SdFat.h library will do SDXC.

1 Like

Yes.

No.

False.

Also Device Manager >> Disk Drives, Device Manager >> Portable Devices and Explorer

Thank you sir.

It's just hard to look for a Micro SD card with 2GBs of storage. The easiest ones to purchase is 32GB and 64 GBs.

That's why I wanted to use the 32GB one.

Thank you sir. I apologize, since Im new here Im not that familiar with these things.

Provides access to SD memory cards.
The SdFat library supports FAT16, FAT32, and exFAT file systems on Standard SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards.

SdFat - Arduino Reference

There appear to be a few references to the SdFat library supporting the exFat file system with cards as large as 512GB (I found one claim of success with a 1TB card). For an UNO, better to stick to 32GB or less with FAT32 file system, the memory requirements are a bit less.

I am not familiar with what type of library I'm using.

However this is the link of both libraries.

1. GitHub - TMRh20/TMRpcm: Arduino library for asynchronous playback of PCM/WAV files direct from SD card. Arduino Uno,Nano,Mega etc supported
  2. GitHub - nabontra/ServoTimer2: ServoTimer2 is a simple library for Arduino 1.x that does not use Timer1 in case of a conflict.

Are you able to determine what type of library they are, and if they are compatible with a 32GB SD card?

Thank you sir.

I'm using Arduino Nano.

However these are the links of both libraries.

1. GitHub - TMRh20/TMRpcm: Arduino library for asynchronous playback of PCM/WAV files direct from SD card. Arduino Uno,Nano,Mega etc supported
  2. GitHub - nabontra/ServoTimer2: ServoTimer2 is a simple library for Arduino 1.x that does not use Timer1 in case of a conflict.

Are you able to determine what type of library they are, and if they are compatible with a 32GB SD card?

Thank you sir.

Are you sure? See THIS for example. I even found a 512 MB also...