send data to a server on the same lan with dynamic IP

Hello, I have an arduino+ethernet shield that works as a client and send data to a server on the same lan. My problem is that on the client sketch i have to manually put the ip address of the server. Both client and server obtain ip address from a DHCP and so I have to chek the server ip address and manually put in on the arduino's code. How can I connect to my server only knowing the MAC address and his name on the lan?

Does your dhcp server (router?) have the capability of assigning a static dhcp lease? A lot of routers provide this function. The dhcp server will then assign the same ip to the server when the server renews the ip lease. That way it does not change.

Just a thought...

What version of the IDE are you using? 1.0 adds the ability to get data from a dns server to resolve names.

I don't think the MAC address is something that the arduino has the ability to query on a network. What you might be able to do is run your server on an oddball port and then ping the available ip addresses using that port and find the ip address that returns the ping.