Sensor for vehicle/human detection

I am designing a security arm gate. Solar powered. I am trying to look for a sensor for vehicle or human detection. this will trigger a sequence where the system takes the picture of the object, and sends it over to our server, and from there to the customer over their phone app.
Any good recommendation?

I have looked into motion sensors and ultrasonic sensors. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. For instance: For anything to be detected by the ultrasonic sensor, the object should be directly perpendicular to the sensor. and realizing how a gate works, it will be very hard to find a good spot to install this.
With motion sensor, its too sensitive to things around. So if it catches a bird flying by or someone just walking by, it will detect it and process that information.
Please advice?

For anything to be detected by the ultrasonic sensor, the object should be directly perpendicular to the sensor.

No.

There is no sensor specific for humans and cars. You have to make the sensors you have work for you.
PIR works best for people but will also pick up dogs. Proximity detectors work well for cars. For example those using buried coils are very good.

However what ever you chose it will be difficult and will not be 100% accurate.

Motion sensor is not good for vehicles? why not?

Hi,

If you want to detect any opaque object in a specific location, IR Beam is good.

https://arduinoinfo.mywikis.net/wiki/InfraredBeamPair

terryking228:
Hi,

If you want to detect any opaque object in a specific location, IR Beam is good.

InfraredBeamPair - ArduinoInfo

Thank you. I have considered that as well. but we are trying to avoid this scenario.
If you visualize an arm gate. We need a sensor that recognizes anything thats incoming towards the gate. Using a sensor with a transmitter reflector, we will have issues adding a reflector to the project. This gate is not for a drive way.

"...not for a driveway." I don't want to know what it isn't. I want to know what it is. Help us help you.

How far in front of the gate? Can you put sensors on the gate or only the gateposts?

Will your customer tolerate an occasional stray dog photo? If you are in an area with bears or alligators they might appreciate those "false alarms". Set a size limit. PIR sensors can be tuned to mostly ignore cats while mostly detecting human-size warm bodies.

How about a cluster of proximity detectors roughly covering an area in front of the gate, and then count the number of hits and react if sufficient hits occur. Tune the 'sufficient hits' by a series of experiments.

ammarqs:
Motion sensor is not good for vehicles? why not?

The PIR sensor stands for Passive Infra Red. It is designed to pick up IR that is emitted by living things. It is not designed to pick up emitted IR from a vehicle. It might work under some conditions but it is not very optimal.

Good ol' pole with button & camera. Can build in an intercom as well for easy communication.

Then the visitor also knows (because they pressed that button) that the gate detected them.