Sensor for water leveling

Hi everyone,

I am going to implement a water lever detection system for my coffee machine and I am looking for the most appropriate sensor for this project. Searching around the web I found three possible candidates and I want your opinion.

1. HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Distance Rangefinder/Obstacle Detection Module Blue : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

2. Amazon.com: Solu Water Level Sensor Depth of Detection Water Sensor for Arduino// High Sensitivity Water Sensor// Water Level Sensor Module Depth of Detection Liquid Surface Height for Arduino M: Computers & Accessories

3. Optomax Digital Liquid Level Sensor [LLC200D3SH-LLPK1] : ID 3397 : $24.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Does anyone has used the ultrasonic sensor (HC-SR04) for water leveling? Is it accurate?

Nick

I've not used any of those. But I've been researching these types of sensors for a while now for use in my aquarium controller system I'm slowly developing. From my research, the ultrasonic can be accurate. However, they do not generally last very long in a damp/wet/humid environment.

The second option, I did not research simply because I didn't want to have to look at one of those in my tank. I just think they're ugly. So, hopefully someone will chime in on those.

The last one is very similar to what I have chosen to eventually use. The only issue I have read about with those, is that if your water has impurities (high calcium in my case) you need to clean it on a regular basis to remove any build up. With yours going in a coffee maker, that wont be a problem. Unless, you're like my ex-wife and only clean your coffee pot once a month.

DangerToMyself:
The last one is very similar to what I have chosen to eventually use. The only issue I have read about with those, is that if your water has impurities (high calcium in my case) you need to clean it on a regular basis to remove any build up. With yours going in a coffee maker, that wont be a problem. Unless, you're like my ex-wife and only clean your coffee pot once a month.

Thank you for your answer. I will agree with you, despite the high initial purchasing cost, the last one seems the most robust of them and I am thinking to proceed with this one as I am not willing to let my coffee machine running out of water.

You can get cheaper versions.

You can also get water resistant versions of the ultrasonic distance sensor.

There are many sensor in the market it depend on the water level (height / volume) of tank and accuracy of measurement.

I used HC-SR04 with one temperature sensor and after temperature compensation working fine from last 08 months without any problem. Tank height is 100 CM.

I also try JSN SR04T working fine with temperature compensation but blink area for this sensor is 20~22 CM and it will helpful only with large tank.

I also try pressure sensor (0.5 to 4.5v output) to measure the water head but not good for small tank because it has huge fluctuation in reading. 4 to 20 ma pressure sensor is stable but difficult to control small amount of water level accurately.

I will suggest to use differential pressure sensor like MPX7002DP OR MPX10DP RC-A-552 which is good for small size tank with high accuracy. It may need to fix tube leakage. Just select the low Kpa ratting as per your need.

US-100 is also another option. It has serial output with temperature compensation and blind area 2CM.

Thank you for your answers guys!! I decided to proceed with the LLC200D3SH-LLPK1 Liquid level sensor of Adafruit and I will also test this sensor from Banggood for a cheaper solution.

Nikosant03:
Thank you for your answers guys!! I decided to proceed with the LLC200D3SH-LLPK1 Liquid level sensor of Adafruit and I will also test this sensor from Banggood for a cheaper solution.

Link corrected.

Yep, much cheaper and presumably just as good. I would call that the better option.

Pity though - absolutely no documentation so you have to figure out how to use it, which is not as simple as the Adafruit one by any means. :cold_sweat:

Paul__B:
Pity though - absolutely no documentation so you have to figure out how to use it, which is not as simple as the Adafruit one by any means. :cold_sweat:

Maybe this video will help.

Yes, it confirms what I presumed about the device but frankly, it is a trifle slow! :astonished:

Just the suggested circuit diagram (and I would do that differently :grinning: ) would help.

Two on order now from eBay - less than AU$3 each.

Did I not mention - the second option in the OP would of course, not just be ugly, but a total disaster!

Hi everyone, this is a feedback after completing my project. I finally used the Optical Infrared Water Liquid Level Sensor from Banggood

Despite its low cost, it works great and its sensitivity is even better. This is an analog output sensor. However, this is not a plug and play sensor, it is needed some resistors from preventing damaging and ensure normal operation.

Also, I made a small PCB to fit everything inside the coffee machine. When the water level is below the sensor then a buzzer activated. Also, I installed a LED on the front side as an additional indicator.

You can also see the DUT as well the final project here.

https://streamable.com/5db3u

https://streamable.com/e6z9b

Thanks for the feedback and glad the project worked okay.

Nikosant03:

That's more like a level switch, telling you whether the water level is above or below the point that sensor is mounted.