Seperate UNO's using different COM ports

A while back I purchased the standard UNO starter kit and dove in to all the projects. Everything installed correctly and I was able to upload everything just fine. Recently I purchased the UCTRONICS Bluetooth car which came with a new UNO, motor shield and blue tooth shield. I assembled everything and installed the libraries per the instruction. When it came to the part where I needed to upload the code, I got and error message saying something to the effect that it was having issues uploading to the particular port. When I looked at the port, it was a different COM number that my original UNO was using. I unplugged the new UNO and plugged in the old UNO and the COM number went back to the original. so then I switch the cable back to the new UNO and tried uploading again. The following error message is what popped up:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 6842 bytes (21%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 346 bytes (16%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1702 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x73
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x73
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x73
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x73
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x73
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x73
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x73
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x73
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x73
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x73
Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

I'm using Windows 7 professional.

It is expected that different boards will have different COM port numbers. This depends on which serial adapter the board uses and which port it's plugged into.

Do you have the bluetooth module connected to the serial pins while attempting to upload? The serial pins are used for uploading so this can prevent uploading from working correctly.

DrAzzy:
It is expected that different boards will have different COM port numbers. This depends on which serial adapter the board uses and which port it's plugged into.

Do you have the bluetooth module connected to the serial pins while attempting to upload? The serial pins are used for uploading so this can prevent uploading from working correctly.

I have the Bluetooth plugged in as per the instructions but I have no idea how the Bluetooth shield, motor shield and the UNO relate to one another as far as the serial ports are concerned. This stuff is way above me head. I got this kit to hopefully immerse myself deeper into the world of shields and Bluetooth.

Here's a link to the instruction manual. Hopefully that will provide clarity.

http://www.uctronics.com/download/Amazon/K0070_V1.zip

You probably have to disconnect the bluetooth module from pins 0 and 1 in order to upload via the USB port.

Nobody is going to download a .zip'ed manual for you... Maybe you should be studying that manual, not us?

That error is extremely generic; it can be caused by basically any problem other than missing drivers or a bad USB cable. Including the wrong board selected, or the whole board having been chopped in half and the piece iwth the microcontroller on it thrown away.

DrAzzy:
You probably have to disconnect the bluetooth module from pins 0 and 1 in order to upload via the USB port.

Nobody is going to download a .zip'ed manual for you... Maybe you should be studying that manual, not us?

That error is extremely generic; it can be caused by basically any problem other than missing drivers or a bad USB cable. Including the wrong board selected, or the whole board having been chopped in half and the piece iwth the microcontroller on it thrown away.

I apologize for the link. I tried uploading the file itself but it said it was too large.

The manual is incredibly simplistic, incomplete and not accurate in many areas. Heavy conversion English interpretations.

I'm not sure how I can illustrate the problem clearly in this forum format. I'm really not trying to be difficult or lazy...just now sure how to convey the problem.

thanks anyway.

As DrAzzy wrote before, you cannot have anything connected to pins 0 and 1 when upload a new sketch.
Upload the sketch, then put back the shield.

I tried uploading again without the motor shield/Bluetooth shield combo plugged in and I get that same, long error message posted above. Would it be a bad UNO board? What typically causes complications when uploading a sketch to a board?

The code compiles without errors.

I tried with a different USB cable and I just got this message

Sketch uses 6842 bytes (21%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 346 bytes (16%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1702 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM4": The system cannot find the file specified.

Are you sure that Uno is using COM4?
What about your first Uno? Which COM port is it on?
With all of the switching back and forth, unplug both Unos. Power down your PC and then power up.
Plug back in the Unos one by one.

From experience, ports can change. This was already indicated in reply #1.

You just need to select the correct port in the IDE when using a different board.

This experience has been interesting but ive definitely learned a bunch.

I got it to work but only after restarting the computer and the IDE without the usb plugged in. additionally I plugged the USB cable into it's own spot on the laptop instead of the USB hub. I'm not sure if the HUB was causing problems but I decided to play it safe.

Here is the link to the product on Amazon for a better idea of what I've was building. A lot of the hardware had to be modified and several of the instruction graphics didn't match the actual parts. The other learning side of this project was how to side-load an app to control the car with my Android through Bluetooth.

Thanks for the help guys and thanks for your patience!