Servos burned real fast. No clue about how it did.

Hi,

just as i got my first robot completely assembled, the servos got burned. I thought it was the battery that was on low power because the rechargable battery i used wasn't fully recharged. The Arduino board had it own power source so it started as it should. But the servos rolled slowly and slowed down pretty fast too. One of the servos completely stopped and a second later the other servo stopped too. I disconnected the rechargable and put it on recharging. Eagered to try my robot i connected the Arduino power supply with the servos insted, just to find out that the servos didn't work anymore.

Iv'e allready accepted that they are broken, there is probably no other way to fix this than to buy a couple of new ones... But i do want to know what colud have happened so i wont make the sam misstake again...

I connected the robot after this model: (only that i didn't have three servos but one) Before i tried to connect the rechargable i had it all connected to one 9v battery and that worked perfectly fine. Also, i don't think it is that i connected wrong wires to wrong connector on the servo because i did that one time, the servo got hot, and i disconnected it but it worked fine after that.

This is the rechargable battery i tried to connect.

hi

if I'm not mistaken, the standard R/C servo supply voltage is 6v, or even less... do you have a spec sheet that came with the servos? I suspect that having connected them to 9V would be the problem.

D

Nope, im sure it's not that. I never connected the servos directly to the 9v battery. I connected them to the 5v pin on the Arduino board.

Have you reconnected the rechargable pack again yet?
It wouldn't surprise me if the usual 9V battery didn't have enough current capability to drive servos. 9V batteries are pretty weak...

Have you reconnected the rechargable pack again yet?
It wouldn't surprise me if the usual 9V battery didn't have enough current capability to drive servos. 9V batteries are pretty weak...

Nope, that wouldn't be the issue either. I drived the robot with an 9v battery before and that worked fine, though the 9v batteries didn't last too long.

Fredrik,

what are the servos turning, is it a heavy load? Those things are notoriously cheaply made.

D

The servos are driving the robot, and the robot doesn't weight more than a kilo. And i think i hold the robot when thay broke so the only load would be the wheels. The weels are probably the most heavy parts but naah, it couldn't have been that. It worked before, with the 9v battery.

I bough two new servos yesterday, and i got them together nicely with the 6v batteries this time. I have no idea what i made wrong the first time. But im happy it works now atleast.

I am interesting by your project. I try to do the same thing. I sent you a email.