Setting up on Windows 7

:disappointed_relieved: I'm trying to set up Arduino Uno on Windows 7. After downloading software, I'm unable to install drivers because the Device Manager does not contain any listing for ports, COM, or anything that looks promising. Any advice?

Plug it in!

Thank you, madworm! I'm a total newby, I'm afraid. I did have it plugged in, but I run into a problem with this stage in the driver installation:

"While in the Control Panel, navigate to System and Security. Next, click on System. Once the System window is up, open the Device Manager. Look under Ports (COM & LPT). You should see an open port named "Arduino UNO (COMxx)""

On Device Manager, there isn't any listing for Ports (COM & LPT). Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Hmmm. Do you have a genuine UNO ?

What's the text on the black chip next to the USB connector?

It says: MEGA8U2 1109 TH 9F3671-1

I think it's genuine. Do you think it might be damaged?

How would I determine whether my new Arduino Uno is defective?

Well, if you don't see any change at all whether the board is plugged in or not...

You could try putting the ATmega8U2 into 'DFU' mode and reload the firmware. I don't have a link, but you'll find it on the forum.

If that fails as well, get a replacement board.

I’m having the same problem and I don’t think it’s an Arduino hardware issue. There simply is nowhere to choose which port (attachment 1). When I right click on the ‘unknown device’ and choose ‘update drivers’, the result is attachment two, which clearly has no ‘ArduinoUNO.inf’ file to choose. The file does exist if I just open the folder from the desktop and look for it (attachment 3). Any ideas?

Just select the folder. It will know what to do after that.

KirAsh4 - it worked thank you. Oberling - plug in the UNO via USB > open 'Control Panel' > open 'Device Manager' > 'Other Devices' should have a subheading saying 'Unknown Device' (see my attachment 'Untitled' from above) > right click > update driver > browse for the file location where you loaded your Arduino software > click on 'Arduino' folder > click on 'drivers' folder (see attachment 'driver'). without selecting anything else, click ok. It worked okay from there. You might be interested in a book I found at RadioShack (I know) by Makezine.com called Getting Started With Arduino. Below is the sketch from the book I put in and tested. The yellow LED on board labeled 'L' will blink. Change the values of '500' to whatever to change it. Put a loose LED in at pins 13 (+) and GND (-) and it should work there too. Note that CAPS matter in you code.

const int LED = 13;

void setup () { pinMode(LED, OUTPUT); }

void loop() { digitalWrite(LED, HIGH); delay(500); digitalWrite(LED, LOW); delay(500); }

I got a new arduino and the same problem occurs !! :0

That's because it's very likely it's not the Arduino, but operator error. Please read all of the instructions and suggestions already given to you by several people.

I did. I own a make: arduino book. When I try to upload a sketch, it instructs me to go to tools/serial port. when I click on tools it wont let me access "serial port". :0

I was able to install arduino on my vista PC, but when I try to upload a sketch it gives me this: avrdude: stk500-getsync9)not in synk: reap=0x30, do you know what to do? I am a total newbee. thanks!! :fearful:

You keep saying you installed the Arduino software, but nowhere do you mention anything about installing the usb driver. It won't work without it.

I had the same problem and after watch this youtube video I was able to get it to recognize my Arduino.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PUbfliMZZk

My original issue is that I could not install the driver. I eventually swiched to my older PC and managed to install the driver, or at least I think I did. It took me several tries, and it stopped telling me that it could not find the port COM1. :(

Greetings, I had the same win7x64 problem and found a solution here: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,91690.0.html hth...vmars316