simple L (or LC) filtering.

I will control a load to dissipate about ~600W using 30.3khz using 16-bit PWM. max 43A @ 14V

In order to measure the current with as little ripple as possible, I wish to smooth out the effect of a powerFET.got some inductors, with 1.25mm diameter wire, 26 windings around a ferrite ring, the inductor is 1cm wide and 3.5ch high - measured to 60uH - Which I think is realistic. - the inductors are labelled 210050A7072B - But I've not found any way to understand the marking.

So - I plan to switch the power using a FET, then power resistors (0.33ohm) - and the inductor - would help a lot, or not ?

by my quick calculations, connecting a 500nF capacitor across the resistor , but how good can the result really be ?

In order to measure the current with as little ripple as possible,

This phrase doesn't mean anything to me, and probably would make little sense to most other forum members.

Please try again. What do you actually want to do?

Some basic info on RC and LC filters: http://www.myclassbook.org/rc-and-lc-filters-circuit-diagram-waveforms-and-working-principle/

If you are using PWM the current is either 0% or 100% with varying duty (on/off) cycle - that's how PWM works

If you wish to measure the mean current you'll need to fit a load monitoring resistor in the line and measure the duty cycle voltage. Apply an RC filter to this to get a "fair" representation of the duty cycle voltage, hence current. It will only be "fair" since the RC filtering is non-linear but you can correct for this in a measurement algorithm.

because you're using relatively low voltages why not simply monitor the duty cycle and assess Load Current = Duty cycle x 43

jremington - what I tried to do, is to have as ripple-free load as possible, so the curect measurement could be very precise (not just smoothed by a capacitor or sampled/averaged at higher rate.)

jackrae: I know,very well, how PWM works :slight_smile: not using a resistor, but a hall effect current sensor for high precision over wide current range.

Anyway - I'll stick the linear (darligton transistor based, clusters of MJ11015) solution I am using today, as the only high power FET's I had in stock were IRFP064 , N-FET's , while the design would be easier if I had P-FET's.

Why didn't you continue THIS post.
You already had some answers.
Leo..

I remember you wanted to discharge ~20volt LiPo batteries for drones, to calculate flying time.

You might want to look at high-power buck converters. Like these ones.
A buck converter, with a fixed resistive load and set to a fixed voltage, draws a constant POWER from a battery.
e.g. a 1ohm resistor (10x 10ohm/10watt), and set to ~9volts will draw 100watt from the battery.

Multiple modules could be used in parallel, to reach final the power you want.
A relay module could switch them on/off.

Something like this could measure voltage and current.
Leo..

what I tried to do, is to have as ripple-free load as possible

Define "ripple free". However, those inductors won't be much use for filtering 30 kHz noise into a 600 watt load.

jackrae:
It will only be "fair" since the RC filtering is non-linear

err . . . by all the usual definitions RC filters are linear.

Russell.