small electric car for the kids

i have much time available. and i thought a good project would be making an Arduino go kart / electric car for the kids. i was hoping for something that would run at around 15 - 20 mph and hold a couple kids or an adult. I have no experience with larger electric motors. I am looking at probably two large lead acid 12 volt batteries for a power supply. probobly car batteries or some something similar. maybe three if necessary? i am looking at a 48v 1800w motor here is an ebay link :

is this overkill? what sized motor is going to give the most profficiency with two 12 volt batteries ?
i would rather purchase bigger than be dissapointed and have to buy another. there is also 36 volt motors closer to my supply voltage. considering i would like to use a 24 volt supply, would a larger rated motor be slower than the smaller? any advise would be much appreciated. I have no expireice with any of this besides smaller arduino and programming stuff

That motor is designed for 48 volts. Are you going to be running 48 volts?

I have worked on many Razor electric minibikes using motors just like that. 4 Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries are going to run $120 or so before shipping. I drove to the warehouse and picked mine up. apparently shipping lead is expensive.

Where does the arduino fit in this project?

taterking:
i have much time available. and i thought a good project would be making an Arduino go kart / electric car for the kids. i was hoping for something that would run at around 15 - 20 mph and hold a couple kids or an adult. I have no experience with larger electric motors. I am looking at probably two large lead acid 12 volt batteries for a power supply. probobly car batteries or some something similar. maybe three if necessary? i am looking at a 48v 1800w motor here is an ebay link :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-48V-1800W-Electric-Brushless-Controller-motor-throttle-grip-for-ATV-Cool/152886550579?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D226424%26meid%3D3d34dc58071a41c8a65a856db876428a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D254529583644%26itm%3D152886550579%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bDemotion&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
is this overkill? what sized motor is going to give the most profficiency with two 12 volt batteries ?
i would rather purchase bigger than be dissapointed and have to buy another. there is also 36 volt motors closer to my supply voltage. considering i would like to use a 24 volt supply, would a larger rated motor be slower than the smaller? any advise would be much appreciated. I have no expireice with any of this besides smaller arduino and programming stuff

Specs show a low voltage cut out @41V so your 24v or 36v battery is not going to work.

1800W is a bit over 2Hp so if you imagine it with say a small Briggs and Stratton motor or similar it will give some idea.

Thing is you are limited to time run as at near 40 Amp draw, the aforementioned sealed lead acid will be simply inadequate, and a 40Ah car battery ( or 4 in series) you could expect perhaps 1/2 hour between charges.

At around a 10 hour recharge for a standard charger times 4 ( unless you have a 48v charger) it could be a long time between rides and the kids are going to loose interest.

Not to mention the dangers of batteries with large discharge currents and acid around kids, I’d be much more comfortable with a small Briggs and Stratton motor.
Hot exhaust can easily be insulated and protected, only consideration is the gas tank.
So unless they play with matches, should be fine as they sit right on top of a gas tank every time they go riding in the family car.

I would look for a jazzy/powered wheelchair. Sometimes you can find one used for next to nothing. Through a friend of a friend I got a used jazzy for free that just needed batteries. Stripped all the unnecessary weight and used 2 4 cell lipo batteries wired in parallel in place of the lead acid batteries and it became a fun little cart to drive around.

Lipo batteries are a lot faster to charge and depending on the capacity keeps the fun going longer.

Hi,
I have used an electric wheelchair / personal transporter motor and transaxle for several years in a small car that my Grandchildren (and even I) run, usually in the yard or sidewalk. It has a 24V DCmotor and I use two 12V 26AH gelcell batteries that have lasted for 5 years.

See the car and operation here:

This is the latest rebuild of this car; it originally had a 12V car battery and a 6V car generator for a motor.(In 1962 !).

The arduino controls a Pololu motor driver for speed and direction control. Also also the tail and backup lights.

The motor driver is a pololu-g2-high-power-motor-driver-18v25-24v21. It's small but works well;I have it heatsinked to a large aluminum plate.

I am working on a dashboard etc. consulting with my Test Driver. (Grandchild #14)..

Can't beat this kind of project for fun... ! !