snprintf to variable integer to do math DS1302 RTC

Hello, I'm using this library: GitHub - msparks/arduino-ds1302: Arduino library for the DS1302 Real Time Clock chip and it works great, but the function prints everything from Serial.print.
I don't know how to make it print for instance only the seconds in integer value so that it can be used to do math.

void printTime() {
  // Get the current time and date from the chip.
  Time t = rtc.time();

// Name the day of the week.
  const String day = dayAsString(t.day);

// Format the time and date and insert into the temporary buffer.
  char buf[50];
  snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "%s %04d-%02d-%02d %02d:%02d:%02d",
           day.c_str(),
           t.yr, t.mon, t.date,
           t.hr, t.min, t.sec);

// Print the formatted string to serial so we can see the time.
  Serial.println(buf);
}

How would a function be written to print a integer value so that I can do math with the time and date?
vague example:

void loop() { int seconds = t.sec; seconds=seconds+10; }

I don't know how to make it print for instance only the seconds in integer value

t.sec IS an int value. You don't need to "print the seconds in integer value" to be able to do math with it. You can't do math with strings.

PaulS:
t.sec IS an int value. You don't need to "print the seconds in integer value" to be able to do math with it. You can't do math with strings.

How can I use t.sec on the void loop then?

t.sec-10 does not work. Can you tell me how?

Can you describe what exactly you want to do? What you have written in your trivial example should be fine. Show some code. What did you expect to happen vs. what really happened?

Delta_G:
Can you describe what exactly you want to do? What you have written in your trivial example should be fine. Show some code. What did you expect to happen vs. what really happened?

Thanks for your response!!!!!

#include <stdio.h>
#include <DS1302.h>

namespace {
const int kCePin   = 5;  // Chip Enable
const int kIoPin   = 6;  // Input/Output
const int kSclkPin = 4;  // Serial Clock
DS1302 rtc(kCePin, kIoPin, kSclkPin);

String dayAsString(const Time::Day day) {
  switch (day) {
    case Time::kSunday: return "Sunday";
    case Time::kMonday: return "Monday";
    case Time::kTuesday: return "Tuesday";
    case Time::kWednesday: return "Wednesday";
    case Time::kThursday: return "Thursday";
    case Time::kFriday: return "Friday";
    case Time::kSaturday: return "Saturday";
  }
  return "(unknown day)";
}

void printTime() {
  // Get the current time and date from the chip.
  Time t = rtc.time();

// Name the day of the week.
  const String day = dayAsString(t.day);

// Format the time and date and insert into the temporary buffer.
  char buf[50];
  snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "%s %04d-%02d-%02d %02d:%02d:%02d",
           day.c_str(),
           t.yr, t.mon, t.date,
           t.hr, t.min, t.sec);

// Print the formatted string to serial so we can see the time.
  Serial.println(buf);
}

}  // namespace

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  rtc.writeProtect(false);
  rtc.halt(false);
  // Sunday, September 22, 2013 at 01:38:50.
  Time t(2013, 9, 22, 1, 38, 50, Time::kSunday);
  // Set the time and date on the chip.
  rtc.time(t);
}
void loop() {
  printTime();
  delay(1000);
}

The code works. the function "printTime();" prints "Monday 2015-5-26 01:23:45" every time its called.
What I ask for is to get only the seconds part so that I can do math, like add 'x' to the variable 'seconds'.

Pringles:
The code works. the function "printTime();" prints "Monday 2015-5-26 01:23:45" every time its called.
What I ask for is to get only the seconds part so that I can do math, like add 'x' to the variable 'seconds'.

That's the part I was wanting you to describe.

Add this at the end of your printTime function and see if it doesn't add 10 to the variable called seconds.

int seconds = t.sec;
Serial.print("Seconds before addition : ");
Serial.println(seconds);
seconds = seconds + 10;
Serial.print("Seconds after addition : ");
Serial.println(seconds);

Or are you wanting to advance the time by some number of seconds? Or are you trying to figure out what time it will be in 10 seconds? Instead of just saying, "I want to do math", describe what you are trying to accomplish.

Delta_G:
Or are you wanting to advance the time by some number of seconds? Or are you trying to figure out what time it will be in 10 seconds? Instead of just saying, "I want to do math", describe what you are trying to accomplish.

void loop() {
    int minutes = minutes_from_rtc_function; // ? 
    int seconds = seconds_from_rtc_function; // ?

if(minutes >= 30) {
        if(seconds == 14) {
            Serial.print("Taco Bell");
            delay(1000*60);
        }
    }
    // LCD commands and LDR sensors among other stuff
    delay(333);
}

I will try your code asap an get back with results, I'm not home right now.
I guess that I do not know how to get the 'int variables digits' from the function without serial.print.
Thank you so much for answering, I didn't think I would get this much help. Also, if I haven't answered what you're ask, ask me again xD

This isn't the same rtc or time library I'm used to, so I'm working off the assumption that the code you have with sprintf works as described. You just use the same code to get the time that you did there.

That's the part I'm not getting. You have that code, so you obviously understand how to do this, but then you ask as though you don't. So I'm a little unclear on what exactly it is that you don't get.

void loop() {

Time t = rtc.time();

int minutes = t.min;  
    int seconds = t.sec; 

if(minutes >= 30) {
        if(seconds == 14) {
            Serial.print("Taco Bell");
            delay(1000*60);
        }
    }
    // LCD commands and LDR sensors among other stuff
    delay(333);
}
namespace {

WTF?

PaulS:

namespace {

WTF?

HAHA I know. Any idea what that is for?

The example you provided did work man! Thanks so much for your time!

Any idea what that is for?

It's for deleting.

Unnamed namespace is something you might use on very large programs with lots and lots of libraries that are written by someone else. It prevents name collisions if, for instance, you declare a function with the same name as one declared in one of the other header files. Personally, I think it would be better to see the error and change the name. That way you avoid confusion for anyone else reading the code. But that hack does work as well and sometimes gets used when several people are working together on different headers for the same piece of code.

Delta_G:
Unnamed namespace is something you might use on very large programs with lots and lots of libraries that are written by someone else. It prevents name collisions if, for instance, you declare a function with the same name as one declared in one of the other header files. Personally, I think it would be better to see the error and change the name. That way you avoid confusion for anyone else reading the code. But that hack does work as well and sometimes gets used when several people are working together on different headers for the same piece of code.

c++ - Why are unnamed namespaces used and what are their benefits? - Stack Overflow

Thank u so much, you told me what I needed to know, also this is a neat piece of info to know :wink: thx