super n00b using pixel strip

hey folks,

Super new to this Arduino stuff. Ill be using it mainly and only for programming led strip im helping a company with. they reached out to me to see if I had a viable option for them since im kind of a jack of all trades (master of none)

They want be able to cycle through 3 main colors (yellow, red and Green) on a digital pixel strip (ws2811) by pushing a button mounted inside of their office. Apparently, they use this strip as an indicator for visible reference somehow? They currently use a basic controller with a hand held remote but its cumbersome and the remote tends to get lost.

They came to me with hopes ill be able to program an UNO to cycle these 3 colors at the touch of a momentary button, then seal it inside of a box that can be mounted within feet of the led strip. I can easily combat signal drop and voltage drop.

So, thats what I've been into so far. A lot of google reading and playing with examples etc. Pretty neat how it all works and the adjustable settings work. its almost like building drones (sorta)

So, for now I guess ill be a lurking n00b who's trying to find stuff out! Thanks for reading! If anyone wants to lend a hand and gimme pointers id love to hear thoughts and opinions! Thanks folks!

-HTRN-

I can think of a lot of ways to enhance this project- If I knew more about it.

• No button, RFID.
  • Web UI, control from any phone

If you are new to Arduino, get some WS8211 LEDs and experiment with the FastLED code examples.

hightechredneck:
I can easily combat signal drop and voltage drop.

Wouldn’t be too sure of that if I were you! :astonished: Presuming you mean “NeoPixels” /’ WS2812.

Use an ESP8266 for WiFi and a 74HCT14 level converter. Mount it at the end of the strip.

SteveMann:
I can think of a lot of ways to enhance this project- If I knew more about it.

• No button, RFID.
  • Web UI, control from any phone

If you are new to Arduino, get some WS8211 LEDs and experiment with the FastLED code examples.

Thats what ive been doing. I have many many rolls of 2811. I do a lot with led stuff. The request was a simple single push button operated setup that would alternate between the 3 previously mentioned colors. thats why I set forth to learn Arduino coding. in hopes that ill be able to accomplish it somehow.

Paul__B:
Wouldn’t be too sure of that if I were you! :astonished: Presuming you mean “NeoPixels” /’ WS2812.

Use an ESP8266 for WiFi and a 74HCT14 level converter. Mount it at the end of the strip.

a 12v ws2811. Similar to neopixels, but rather than each led being counted and controlled as a pixel, it goes in groups of 3. less IC’'s. More fluent in some situations.

WS2811 strip seems a bit overkill. You just need an RGB light strip right?

Look at these and tell me what you think.

Amplifier for controlling with arduino*

LED strip with power supply*

Momentary pushbutton*

Going with the simple RGB strip may save you a lot of time and money. Instead of having to address each LED, you can just run some wires to the amplifier board. I would recommend cutting off the case and soldering them, not just sticking jumper wires in. Gotta make it look professional :slight_smile:

Save that WS8211 stuff for when you want a lightshow.

You just need to run some while loops that wait for a button press and change between colors accordingly. with a little bit of debounce (Examples in IDE), you can control all of the LED's with a single button.

• I am in no way affiliated with the vendors or products on these links. Just home bored because of the corona virus quarantine

hightechredneck:
a 12v ws2811. Similar to neopixels, but rather than each led being counted and controlled as a pixel, it goes in groups of 3. less IC''s. More fluent in some situations.

Not all WS2811 are grouped as you describe. Since the OP is simply showing one color at a time, it's academic. My Xmas displays were built with WS2811 strings and each LED was individually addressable.

SteveMann:
Not all WS2811 are grouped as you describe. Since the OP is simply showing one color at a time, it's academic. My Xmas displays were built with WS2811 strings and each LED was individually addressable.

your right. some 2811 is each pixel. depends how its sold. most commonly had via eBay and amazon are grouped in 3's. I personally use single and groups of 3.