Touch Sensor & Position Feedback Sensing

I’m looking to start a project for blind children along the lines of the LeapFrog learning systems where the books are read aloud when the child follows along with a pen. In this case however, the child is blind and the braille will be what he follows with his finger. I want to use touch sensors with position feedback sensing so that the program knows where the child’s fingertip is touching (which line of braille text and where across the line). For those of you who are unfamiliar with braille, just think of it as regular text. It is read from left to right and top to bottom just as sighted people read print text.
Also, I’d like to do complete books, so the device will have to know which page it is on and which book it is on the device. I imagine the device itself being a thin laptop/desktop hard plastic rectangular piece with a speaker, etc.
Any ideas on where to start with the touch sensing? The only other project I did using the Arduino Mega was for my senior project last year, using multiple buttons, stepper motors, solenoids, audio, and more to create a simple electronic brailler with audio feedback. So any help with these types of sensors would be great - links, etc! I appreciate it-
Hillary

Richard, thanks for the reply. These are things I have thought about... Braille is read by touching raised dots with a light touch. Most braille learners only use their index fingers to follow the lines. I think it would need to sense the actual touch as the fingers are tracking the dots across the line. There are standard sizes for braille paper, but mostly used is regular 8.5x11" sheets. It would definitely be possible to bar code the pages, however I would like it to be a bounded book. Keeping in mind this is for a young child, say preschool to 2nd grade or so, and most books will not be too long. However braille does take up more space than regular size printed text. It would be great if to build an iPad app for this, however that is far from my knowledge at this point. Apple does a lot compared to other companies for accessibility for the blind and visually impaired. Thanks for any answers. Let me know if you have any ideas on specific products/components. --H