Trouble with arduino ethernet webservers

Hey this is probably a simple fix, but i have used the examples from the arduino ethernet sketches and have accessed them on a computer but when i try to access them on a mobile device (Droid bionic) and it can not reach the server. I have used other sketches with no success. anyone know what is going on? thanks

You have to provide more information. How is that mobile device connected to your network? Just over the internet? Is it inside the LAN?

The device is connected over the mobile data network, and the arduino is either plugged into my router or my schools ethernet plug ins and neither work. in the setup i had the shield set up a dhcp address instead of an ip address i created. i used dhcp because my router did not allow me to create my own address, and i even tried changing the ports. i am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

EthernetServer server(80);
Ethernet.begin(mac);

i had the shield set up a dhcp address instead of an ip address

A "dhcp address" is a dynamically generated IP address.

How does the droid know that IP address?

How does the droid know that IP address?

I type in the IP address given to me on the serial monitor. I thought I read somewhere that you need to match the gateway address with your routers IP address? is that correct?

You didn't understand the difference between a LAN (Local Area Network) and the public Internet yet. You most probably got an IP address from the private range (192.168.xx.xx or 10.xx.xx.xx) on your Arduino. You can access it with that address from inside the LAN but not from the Internet (these IPs are not routed).
You may be able to configure such an access on your home router but I doubt that your school will do that for you on their routers. Do you really need access over the Internet? Isn't it enough to access it from your mobile device while you're connected to the WiFi network?

That makes sense thanks. So there is no problem with the arduino coding, its just my router blocking the ethernet shield from making the website public? Will making the website public cause some problems as well? the reason i am asking is i want to be able to access the website over my mobile data network. Thanks again for the help

Will making the website public cause some problems as well?

Define what problems mean to you. It's not easy to set up because first you have to reconfigure your router and the way to do that is different from router to router and then you also have to get a subscription from one of the dynamic DNS providers to make the (changing) IP address of your router available on the Internet by a fixed name. Once you have the subscription you also have to configure that account into your router (given that it supports that feature). From what I've read in this thread I'd guess that you're not experienced with networks, so this probably is a bigger problem for you.

the reason i am asking is i want to be able to access the website over my mobile data network.

Please describe what you want to achieve, what kind of data the webserver on your Arduino provides and why you think you must be able to access it by the mobile data network. Maybe we find an easier alternative for you.

Oh actually what i have set up on the arduino works well for my purpose! Thank you very much for the explanation it makes much more sense now! I thought i was going something wrong!