udp.endPacket() returns zero - but works fine after hardware reset

Bit of a weird one, but I've not been able to find an answer. Hopefully someone here can help me.

I'm using an Arduino Uno and a mega compatible ethernet shield. Code is straight out of the examples.

Everything works fine when the Arduino is connected to my PC.

However, on standalone power udp.endPacket() returns 0.

If I press the reset button on the ethernet shield, it works perfectly! Unfortunately for this project I won't have easy access to the shield, so I need to find a solution that gets it working on first boot.

Things I've tried: Moving the UDP.Write section to loop(). Adding long (30 second) delays between each line of code. Slamming my head on the desk.

Abridged code here:

void setup ()
{
  initLEDs(); //I have LEDs which allow me to error check without using Serial

Ethernet.begin(mac, ip, dns, sub);

delay(500);

if (udp.begin(PORT) == 0)
  {
    setLEDs(255, 0, 255); //magenta
    while (true) delay(1); //do nothing
  }

delay(500);

if (udp.beginPacket(server, PORT) == 0)
  {
    setLEDs(255, 0, 0); //red
  }

udp.write(MSG);

if (udp.endPacket() == 0)
  {
    setLEDs(255, 128, 0); //orange
  }
}

void loop ()
{
  //udp.read and a bunch of other stuff
  delay(10);
}

As I said above, this code works fine after a reset, so I don't think it's a hardware issue. Feels more like a bug that I can't think how to solve.

All advice welcome :)

Abridged code here:

Bad idea. Post exactly the code you upload which shows that behavior. Post a link to the hardware you're using (unless it's an original Arduino Ethernet Shield). From your description my guess is a hardware that doesn't reset correctly at power up. The hardware I use doesn't show that behavior, so a link to the one you're using is mandatory.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I really don't know the make of the hardware. It's literally labelled "mega compatible". I got it on eBay.

However, I was able to track down the problem and it was as you suspected.

https://marco.guardigli.it/2010/11/arduino-wiznet-ethernet-shield-proper.html

That website gave me the solution which worked perfectly. Hope it helps anyone else who comes across this post.