Reported at the request of endorama.
I encountered this when trying to create a new Arduino IoT Cloud Thing but it's really about creating the device, not the Thing. The same issue occurs if you try to create a device via Create Device Manager.
- Connect any device to your computer that creates a serial port. This could be an Arduino board, but there are many other devices other than Arduino boards that use serial ports and any of them should cause this issue.
- Connect a MKR WiFi 1010 to your computer.
- Open Arduino Iot Cloud: Arduino IoT Cloud
- Click "New thing".
- Click "Set up an Arduino MKR WiFi 1010"
- Click "Start".
- Setup step 1 fails: "We detected multiple boards connected to your computer. Please disconnect all of the boards from your computer, except for the MKR WiFi 1010 you are trying to configure."
- Disconnect the device that creates a serial port.
- Click "Try Again".
- The process now succeeds.