Unable to load esp32 boards - SOLVED

I previously had esp32 version 1.02 board definitions loaded in Arduino version 1.8.5 on a Mac with OS 10.13.6.

I updated to Arduino version 1.8.10 and tried to load esp32 version 1.04. I get an Input/output error and the attached error messages in the Arduino IDE.

I have https://dl.espressif.com/dl/package_esp32_index.json in the additional boards manager URLs in preferences. (I have removed this and the second entry for https://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json but the esp32 definitions will not load)

I have tried reverting to version 1.8.5 of the IDE and also to version 1.02 of the board definitions but the error remains. I am not able to Remove the esp32 board definitions as this is not an option in the board manager and the esp32 boards do not appear in the board manager.

I have reloaded version 1.02 of the board definitions from a Time Machine back up(directory Arduino15\packages\esp32 and subdirectories) and everything works in version 1.8.10 of the IDE. If I try to update the board definitions to version 1.01, 1.03 or 1.04 then I get the same Input/output error and the esp32 board definitions are erased (and there are no files in the hardware and tools sub directories of packages\esp32)

I need some help to understand what the error messages mean. What do the numbers at the end of the reporting lines mean ?

(175 then 748 then 233 then 61 then 88 then 60 then 113 then 172 in the attached file which is a screen capture from the messages in the Arduino IDE)

I had problems with version 1.8.10 and STM32F1 microcontroller. But I don't know if your problem is related to mine.

(Error updating to Arduino 1.8.10 (error: duplicate 'inline') Arduino 1.8.9 works)
My post: Error updating to Arduino 1.8.10 (error: duplicate 'inline') Arduino 1.8.9 works - Installation & Troubleshooting - Arduino Forum

Have you tried to check if it works with version 1.8.9?

(I am using version 1.8.9)

Hi rtek1000,
Thanks for your suggestion. I deleted all files in user/library/Arduino15/staging/packages and all json and json.sig files in user/library/Arduino15 and all sub directories. I can now load esp ver1.04 without error.
The problem is now resolved.