Unbelievable slow compilation of simple BLINK sketch

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Arduino Uno and started playing with it.
For a few months everything works perfectly. Since last week my arduino IDE slowed down incredibly.
Simple BLINK example compiles for about 3 minutes!!!. What's wrong?

Just to be clear, it is not that the IDE software is slow: openin, closing, selection ports etc.. works fine. Uploading the sketch to the Arduino is fast. Just the compilation get stopped at half the bar for 2-3 minutes. In that time, the load of processing on the computer is very low, so it is just waiting for something, just I don't know what..

I tried to: 1) re install java 2) remove blue-tooth stuff 3) disable the ports not used 4) disable firewall 5) use zipped non admin install IDE 6) use installable IDE (.exe)

I tried running IDE on ubuntu. BLINK example compiles in about 2 seconds. Why on windows this suddenly slowed down?

I'm running Lenovo G500s, pentium 2020M, 4gb RAM, Nvidia Gt720M, OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Here's a video of compiling (i use only VERIFY button)

Here's verbose output during compilatiom.
http://pastebin.com/xXCBQg73

Thanks in advance for help
Andrew

PS: sorry for my bad english, i'm from europe

Something is seriously wrong. It should only take a second or two.

However I'm not sure what. Delays of a couple of minutes are often something to do with networks, for example domain-name lookups.

Have you installed the Arduino software on a local drive? Do you have other issues connecting to the Internet?

I haven't personally used it on Windows 8 (an operating system I am not in a hurry to try) so I can't comment on whether or not the operating system itself is to blame.

You could try running a Linux partition on an emulator, for example VirtualBox.

Which Arduino IDE version are you using?

It looks like 1.0.5.

Try downloading 1.0.6, or the 1.5.8 beta version.

I made video with IDE ver. 1.0.5-r2.
Yes. I installed IDE on local drive.

I don't have other issues connecting to the Internet. I also don't think that's a problem of OS. IDE works perfectly about 2 months ago.

Same problem is on 1.0.6 version and now i downloaded 1.5.8 beta and it took about 12 seconds to verify. (still too long for just a Blink)

Your IDE is on local drive what about the sketch files and libraries? (I moved my sketch and library off a USB drive do to slow reaction)
Have you reviewed your preferences.txt file for proper paths, memory allocation, and editing/compiling settings.

spicetraders:
Your IDE is on local drive what about the sketch files and libraries? (I moved my sketch and library off a USB drive do to slow reaction)
Have you reviewed your preferences.txt file for proper paths, memory allocation, and editing/compiling settings.

I have my projects and libraries on HDD. I didn't reviewed my preferences.txt
Don't have such knowledge.

Simple BLINK example compiles for about 3 minutes!!!. What's wrong?

lyczewskiand:
Same problem is on 1.0.6 version and now i downloaded 1.5.8 beta and it took about 12 seconds to verify. (still too long for just a Blink)

12 seconds is a lot less than 3 minutes. My experience is that the Windows versions tend to be slower than the Mac / Linux ones.

On my copy of Windows XP it took 5 seconds to compile Blink, so that is in the same general ball-park.

It took 2 seconds on Ubuntu.

I also found that compiling Blink again on Windows reduced the time to 2 seconds. Also a somewhat larger sketch (ArduinoISP) only took 2.5 seconds. So it looks like there is some fixed overhead to compile, and that compiling longer sketches won't necessarily take proportionally longer.

Have u ever try, the “fixed” rxtxSerial.dll file??

here some clue at http://www.johngineer.com/

he just replace the original 'rxtxSerial.dll' with another modified 'rxtxSerial.dll'.

u can found the file here FILE

Another option is turn of antivirus, or just exclude your arduino folder from being scanned (put into exclusions list).

I routinely experience 20+ second compiles of blink on both of my windows systems (Win10 on good but not outrageous hardware). Is this not expected?

It seems really unpredictable - repeated compiles of the same sketch with same build options and only minor changes seem to go much faster.