Uplink/Downlink to Mars.

Everytime I see something from NASA or some doc i’m watching, they always (always) go on about the slow
data rate between the rover and earth and fair enough right, it takes a day to send a packet from here to there.

So while being bored I thought to myself, internet on mars, no.

but, I would be able to still recieve data, collect my emails live on mars in peace right! so it got me thinking
what is the fastest transfer rate? I originally thought a low bit stream maybe similar to 56k modem…

turns out that if done correctly, TV streaming, just high data rates are possible to mars! - take a look
at the attachment…

which is annoying considering i only get 4.9mbit while someone on mars could be streaming
TV up to 150Mbit… i’m on this planet and the best connection i can get is 4.9mbit :~

you have to share your line with hundreds or thousands of neighbours, while the Mars rover has only a hand full at most ;)

Transmitting to and from Mars is quite a challenge as the distance changes continuously. A signal takes minimal 4 minutes and can take up to 24 minutes for a one way trip because the two planets rotate around the sun in a different rythm. There is even a time slot when there is no direct line of communication as the sun is in between.

More info - http://blogs.esa.int/mex/2012/08/05/time-delay-between-mars-and-earth/ -

Hi, but at the quickest its goint to take 4mins to connect to adruino forum 4mins of response 4 to initiate log in 4 to receive log in page 4 to send name and password. 4 to tell you your capslock is on 4 to send name and password with CAPS LOCK off. 4 to receive acknowledge 4 to send "unread messages" command.

if you do it at 500MBs or 5Mbs its still going to take ages. 500Mbs will allow for the rest of the Mars community to log onto Facebook.

Tom...... :)

For interstaller communication you need other types of handshakes , you should be able to send prematurely or opportunistic data to increase the bandwidth.

robtillaart: For interstaller communication you need other types of handshakes , you should be able to send prematurely or opportunistic data to increase the bandwidth.

I think caching servers would be a better option. The traffic never leaves Mars. If you buy hosting from a company, they put your stuff on a Earth rack and a Mars rack, with the data being synced between. Sort of like how the Amazon Cloud was supposed to work before people got cheap.

True for data that can be shared over multiple servers (most) - e.g. Wikipedia - but some data is only accessible on one server.

Another area of problems is the NTP protocol, which takes care of supplying right time up to the nano second. As distances changes the interstellar version of this protocol has to handle it. Mars would have its own atomic clock of course but keep it in sync with earth is less trivial.

G-TOR (Golay -TOR) is an FSK mode that offers a fast transfer rate compared to Pactor. It incorporates a data inter-leaving system that assists in minimizing the effects of atmospheric noise and has the ability to fix garbled data. G-TOR tries to perform all transmissions at 300 baud but drops to 200 baud if difficulties are encountered and finally to 100 baud. (The protocol that brought back those good photos of Saturn and Jupiter from the Voyager space shots was devised by M.Golay and now adapted for ham radio use.) GTOR is a proprietary mode developed by Kantronics. Because it is only available with Kantronics multi-mode TNCs, it has never gained in popularity and is rarely used by radio amateurs

http://wb8nut.com/digital/

Tom.... :) (ahhh yes those were the days)