USB serial communication speed

First of all, I have seen many topics that talks about serial communication in Arduino but I could not find an answer for my question.

I have seen many Arduino boards that can control many sensors and motors.

However, assuming that I connected an Arduino board to my PC (USB cable) and then connected 10 sensors and 10 motors to the Arduino board. Would it be possible for me to send and receive data to/from all these sensors and motors using "avr/io.h" library(C language) in each second without any delay or errors ?

On other words, can I get the output from all sensors , send input to motors, receive output from motors using the USB cable in less than 1 second ?

yes you can control & monitor BUT you cannot do both in same time. there must be some delay. say 500ms but there has to be delay. you have to monitor the sensors & actuators ONE BY ONE, not at-a-time. In most cases you cant even detect the small delay in between them.

This link may help you. Have a look.

arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/TwoPortReceive

Best of luck..

You'll need to identify the actual components you are planning to use. Then you need to describe how you plan to transmit the data.

I suspect either collecting the data or determining a efficient data format is more likely to be your roadblock, not transmitting it.

you have to monitor the sensors & actuators ONE BY ONE, not at-a-time. In most cases you cant even detect the small delay in between them

Yes you are right but is it possible(with delay) to get it done in less than one second ?

I suspect either collecting the data or determining a efficient data format is more likely to be your roadblock, not transmitting it.

Of course it will be difficult to handle huge amount of data but I found many solutions for that.

nightboy:
Yes you are right but is it possible(with delay) to get it done in less than one second ?

No way to tell based on the information given; You say 10 sensors but don't identify what sensors they are. Analog sensors take much longer to read than digital sensors.

OK lets us assume I am using
7 Ultrasonic sensors (digital)
3 Light Sensors(analog)
10 Motors (PWM & digital)

how long would it take to execute C code that receive data from all sensors and motors and control motors ONCE ONLY?

Identify the actual components.

actual components

please be specific, what do you mean by actual components ?

Part numbers for be sensors you are going to use

Well, assuming I am using common sensor like PING Ultrasonic Sensor and Sharp IR (20 to 150)

Kindly share what are you planning to do with your project.

you have to go through the datasheets(device specification document) of the components you are trying to use in your project. various components takes different time to respond, they use different protocols, they draw different amount of current & etc etc. In short, you have to know the nature of the components you are using then you can determine if it is possible to do what you want to do or not.

cheers...

The answer is...

It is possible to manage all the components with arduino but they MAY or MAY NOT take 1 second... may be more, may be less...

Kindly share what are you planning to do with your project.

Well, right now I am just planning and I have not decided what I am going to do. It could be a robot and it could be something else (Lab tools).
My goal right now is to determine all limitations in microcontrollers board.
Arduino boards are very popular and have many addons(shields) but can I use them in controlling many components from a PC without many errors and delays ?

Well, that's what am I trying to get now.

MAY or MAY NOT take 1 second

Do you think that the average would be less than 2 seconds ?

Does anyone know the average speed of controlling all these units (USB) ?

Does anyone know the average speed of controlling all these units (USB) ?

27 nanofarlongs per fortnight.

Now, if you were to ask a reasonable question...