using arduino as an audio channel selector.

hi all,
I’m currently building a flight simulator for my air cadet squadron. To simulate real flight as best as possible i want to implement a radio system.

For the flight sim i have so far built the radio module which allows you to change and select a “frequency”. it is fairly simple using an Arduino nano, rotary encoder, push button and a 16x2 lcd.

What i want to do is pass the audio from a headset in the flight sim to a headset of the required ATC station. For now i only need around 3 channels and the system should be able to change between these based on the frequency selected.

I was thinking use transistors to switch the channels?

It needs to be a 2 way audio system.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks, George

Easiest way would be relays. Then you don't have to worry about the analog signals. If you can find some dpdt relay modules, that would make things easier because you can switch the outgoing and incoming audio channels together. For 3 "channels", 2 such relays would be needed.

Like this one for example.
s-l300 (29).jpg
Or a couple of these

Instead of L and R you would have outgoing and incoming audio.

s-l300 (29).jpg

Thanks for the help!
if i wanted to directly connect 2 headsets then ie the mic from headset 1 to the headphone of headset 2 would i also need to use an audio amplifier too?

georgegohl888:
Thanks for the help!
if i wanted to directly connect 2 headsets then ie the mic from headset 1 to the headphone of headset 2 would i also need to use an audio amplifier too?

I'd equip each mic with a small pre-amp for decent volume and quality.

Or you can place pre-amps at the headphones jack... but in such case the loud CLICK when switching the stations shall also be amplified - making usage a bit annoying.

preamps at the mic amplify the mic output. preamps at the headphone amplify what is left of the mic signal after resistance, capacitive and induction effects, and amplify any noise induced along the way

amplify audio and video at the source where possible.

Thanks for the help!