Using the word "Arduino" in a PC program

Hello Arduino Community,
I am currently working on a project which uses a software on a PC that controls stuff on the Arduino. In the software there are some places where the word “Arduino” is used. For example if the software tries to connect to an Arduino that is not plugged in, can I use a message that looks something like this: “Could not connect to your Arduino. Make sure it is correctly plugged in.” or do I have to use a word which is not “Arduino”? This might be a stupid question but I just want to make sure I don’t violate any policies.
Besides that I also want to ask if it’s okay to call the program something like: “ArduinoRGBController” or is that not allowed since “Arduino” is on the title. The icon of the program would be a modified Arduino logo (the logo is in the attachment). Can I use that or do I have to choose a new one?
I would really appreciate your help!

The only issue I can see here is very generic…
If your ‘Arduino’ performs a specific function, why not refer to it by that function?

e.g. “Could not connect to your <>” or whatever.

Otherwise, I doubt anyone’s going to hunt you down in the jungles of Brazil for retribution.

Arduino and the Arduino logo are trademarks owned by Arduino. I don't know enough about law to advise you of what limitations there are in using the term "Arduino" in your software, or how much you would need to modify the Arduino logo to avoid a trademark infringement.

Arduino has provided some guidance here:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/FAQ#toc7
but unfortunately that only is for hardware, not software.

I have tried to avoid using the word "Arduino" in the titles of my own software projects because I don't know whether that could be problematic, and it would be a big hassle to have to change it later.

I do know that Arduino is quite active in searching out trademark violations and taking action on them. However, I have never seen action taken against things like a free open source Arduino library with the name "Arduino" in the title. They might be more sensitive about the logo though.

diddyholz's icon.png:

Look at the Arduino AtHeart program.

Thank you! I will probably change the Title and Icon then just to make sure.

I found [u]this[/u]:

What is trademark infringement?

Trademark infringement is the unauthorized use of a trademark or service mark on or in connection with goods and/or services in a manner that is likely to cause confusion, deception, or mistake about the source of the goods and/or services.

I'm not a lawyer either, but I would expect that if you use a trademarked word factually, as you propose to do, that would not be a problem. 'Connect your Arduino' for example, to ask someone to connect an actual Arduino cannot be, in my unqualified opinion, an abuse of a the Arduino trademark. Calling your product an 'Arduino' when it clearly isn't would be an abuse of the Arduino trademark. You probably ought to use the letters 'TM' to indicate that the word 'Arduino' is a trademark.

However, I agree with Lastchancename, if your Turbo Encabulator happens to contain an Arduino you should refer to 'Turbo Encabulator', not 'Arduino', because users don't generally care what's inside their product, they just want to to work.

PerryBebbington: However, I agree with Lastchancename, if your Turbo Encabulator happens to contain an Arduino you should refer to 'Turbo Encabulator', not 'Arduino', because users don't generally care what's inside their product, they just want to to work.

And in case anyone does not recall what a Turbo Encabulator actually is ...