Wanting to build laser/sound/relay device

Howdy.

I'm totally new to Arduino. I haven't purchased one yet, as I want to see if this is feasible.

I'm building a device for an art project, and I want it to perform three functions at the push of a button.

1 - Emit a laser, preferably reflecting off a mirror mounted to a motor or speaker (I'm familiar with this, so I know this bit is feasible, and I can use that as a guide). Duration: 15-30 seconds.

2 - Emit a prerecorded sound, maybe a 15-30 second audio file sourced from an MP3 or WAV, and output to a 1/8" jack that would be plugged into an amplifier.

3 - Emit a square wave that is somehow wired into this power sander's on-off switch. I'm thinking relay of some sort.

Does this sound like madness? It probably is, but is it feasible madness?

Thanks for your time.

Probably doable depending on how much time, skill, and $$$ you have. “Art” projects often are more complicated than they seem on the surface. Where does the arduino fit into this?

The arduino would be the thing basically controlling the timing - the on/off for all three outputs, and the square wave (or just rapid cycle (~1-2 Hz) on/off) for the third. Does anybody have any pointers to how I could do the third thing?

My skills are rusty. I got a computer engineering degree in 1997, but never used it in the workforce. The programming stuff I can figure out, it's the electronic stuff that I'll need to study up on.

loosenut:
The arduino would be the thing basically controlling the timing - the on/off for all three outputs, and the square wave (or just rapid cycle (~1-2 Hz) on/off) for the third. Does anybody have any pointers to how I could do the third thing?

My skills are rusty. I got a computer engineering degree in 1997, but never used it in the workforce. The programming stuff I can figure out, it’s the electronic stuff that I’ll need to study up on.

Look up 'blink without delay, in the Playground. You can use the output to rapidly switch your sander on and off instead of a LED. You’ll have to use a transistor to do the switching, as an Arduino cannot directly switch that much current.

What is the frequency of the square wave? If it's low (say single digit Hz) you could use a relay, or a powerswitch tail , to switch the AC for you. You would need a small driver circuit between the Arduino and a relay, but the Arduino could control a powerswitch tail directly.