What happened to my brand new soldering iron?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4Hj1wfAUnp/
Please help i have no idea what happened to the soldering iron I got yesterday.
It is my first iron and will no longer melt the solder like the tutorials said.

Is it turned on?

It isn't turned on but it was, should I check it again to see if it is gone?

It is still like that, I checked

Did you ask the supplier you bought it off ?

Hi,
Does it have a fuse in the back?

Tom.. :slight_smile:

No,no

noodlespinbot:
poketcher on Instagram: "What happened to my brand new soldering iron? #Help #soldering #roboticshelp #arduinohelp"

Is it getting hot?

Have you cleaned the tip with a damp sponge?

Are you using rosin-cored solder?

You always have to fight a battle against oxide film building up on the iron, this means:

1. never leave it on for long periods without cleaning and re-wetting the tip.
  2. Always use rosin-cored solder.
  3. Always clean the tip before any use. Damp sponge is good as it doesn't risk scratching the plating on the tip.

Another thing to be careful of is damaging the thin iron plating on the tip - if you scratch through to the copper then the bit will start dissolving in the solder and rot away like a bad tooth. Copper is sparing soluable in molten solder, iron is not.

Thanks for the tips I just realised I had it on heating up for a while too long... ( about 30 mins :o )
What should I do? I know I can buy new tips but the entire solder bar is covered...
I followed a tutorial and wiped it with flux but then wi[ed it with tissue but I only did it with the tissue, it stilled doesn't work. I am able to buy a new tip but don't know how to buy a new bar part if I need it. It gets hot enough to make my wet sponge evaporate but can't melt solder.

Please identify the type, brand and alloy mix of the solder you have been using.

Then get some "tip tinner" for the type of solder you are using and learn how to use it to keep the tip cleaned.

Get some new tips for your iron with several different shapes, including wedge shaped.

Your iron is designed to be able to easily replace the tips and you can even replace the heating element.

Leave solder covering the tip until just before you are going to solder something, and THEN clean the tip with your wet sponge and immediately do the solder joint. Do not clean the tip until time for the next solder joint.

Paul

noodlespinbot:
Thanks for the tips I just realised I had it on heating up for a while too long... ( about 30 mins :o )
What should I do? I know I can buy new tips but the entire solder bar is covered...
I followed a tutorial and wiped it with flux but then wi[ed it with tissue but I only did it with the tissue, it stilled doesn't work. I am able to buy a new tip but don't know how to buy a new bar part if I need it. It gets hot enough to make my wet sponge evaporate but can't melt solder.

Once a film of black iron-oxide builds up on the tip its really hard to remove. You can try very fine emery paper to remove it, but don't over-do it and go through the iron plating. On no account use a file or coarse abrasive. You should always have at least one spare tip on hand, any quality iron will come with several bits.

The brass turnings style of tip cleaner will help remove oxide, as brass is softer than iron.

Its best to always re-wet an iron with solder before putting it back in the holder, as oxide on liquid solder
just wipes off. Once all the solder is oxidized the iron can start to tarnish, but this takes some time.

Flux acts to prevent oxide formation, but flux burns in a short time and becomes ineffective.

Just a comment - personal opinion only.
When I returned from Australia, needing an iron quickly, I purchased the same model.
3 issues came to light fairly quickly:-
a) Temp is analogue, with no idea as to what the setting is
b) They only supply one size tip. No other sizes available.
c) Handset cord is standard 3 core mains - way to stiff and heavy.

Fof

Looks perfectly normal to me. The barrel is going to discolor with age.

Thanks everyone! I may buy a new tip

Unless you have removed the tin plating on the tip by filing it, and it still melts solder, then why do you need another tip?

noodlespinbot:
poketcher on Instagram: "What happened to my brand new soldering iron? #Help #soldering #roboticshelp #arduinohelp"

If the barrel got that discoloured in a day!!!!
What is the rated AC mains voltage that it is rated at?
What is your mains AC voltage?

Do you have a DMM?
Does the power indicator come on?
Tom... :slight_smile:

IamFof:
Just a comment - personal opinion only.
When I returned from Australia, needing an iron quickly, I purchased the same model.
3 issues came to light fairly quickly:-
a) Temp is analogue, with no idea as to what the setting is

The reason for the missing scale on the "temp" knob is because there isn't any temp control.

It's running open loop control - it's just a simple TRIAC AC dimmer in front of the iron. No temperature sensor anywhere.

// Per.

must be that welding rod that wont melt,does your solder have 7018 writen on it?