Will this ethernet module work for Arduino UNO?

I've looked at a list of them on ebay and none of them say anything about it being compatible with Arduino UNO (but it has nothing saying it can't be, either).

I've also looked it up, and all I can find are pages on the ethernet shield and not the module.

Anyway, here it is ; http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENC28J60-Ethernet-LAN-Module-for-Arduino-AVR-LPC-STM32-/280879344141?pt=Home_Automation_Modules&hash=item4165b6aa0d#ht_1431wt_1163

thanks!

Yes, the ENC28J60 modules can be used with an UNO.

However, they require a lot more resources than the "official" ethernet shield, as the IP stack is 100% in software, instead of being implemented in the chip.

The ENC28J60 is merely an SPI connected transceiver chip, so you would wire it to the SPI ports of the UNO. Note, though, that it is a 3.3V device, and the signals to/from the device should be treated accordingly.

There are a number of libraries around for the chip, all of them based around the same base code, and all of them horrible. So horrible, in fact, that I have written a library from scratch to use them with the ChipKit boards - alas you cannot use that library on the Arduino boards. Just google for "Arduino ENC28J60" and you'll find the libraries easy enough.

you can get w5100 based ethernet modules (with micro SD) now for $10-$12. IMHO, not worth saving $5 to go though all the trouble and headache to make the $5 module to work.

So few people get the ENC28J60 to work well, I do not think it would be worth any level of effort.

Plus, eBay's Electronics Technical Support Forum isn't very good. (Probably due to the fact it doesn't exist.)

Yes it does - it can be found at Arduino Forum :wink:

Well, I'm thinking about just getting the official arduino ethernet shield... Though the price is quite wack ($50, with shipping)

nate890:
Though the price is quite wack ($50, with shipping)

Keep in mind as you make use of this free-to-you resource (the forum), that official boards help support the Arduino project. They fund this resource.

Virtually nothing available on eBay provides this kind of financial support.

nate890:
Well, I'm thinking about just getting the official arduino ethernet shield... Though the price is quite wack ($50, with shipping)

Well, then the ENC28J60 would be ~$38 and you might not ever get to work. With high shipping cost, got to get it right the first time.

I have a whole bunch of those chips here. I have made a few shields up with them.

While I have had them working, with the software that is out there for the Arduino, they are very poor.

I only really use them with more meaty PIC32 chips that have the resources to be able to implement a proper IP stack instead of the crud that passes for a library for them on the Arduino.

nate890:

I highly recommend this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SainSmart-Ethernet-Shield-W5l00-for-Arduino-UNO-MEGA-2560-R3-Duemilanove-/270998590388?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item3f18c653b4

if they have one on auction, you can usually get it for almost half that price. they ship via their amazon store so you get it in a week.