ZIF Socket?

Any interest in having a ZIF socket so we can easily remove a programmed chip for use in projects? I certainly am. I would happily pay the difference in cost.

I've already probably ruined a Diecimila by removing the ATmega and replacing it with a fresh, new one -- no comm port is created and the "L" LED flashes continuously. Fortunately I have a backup Dieci...

ZIFs are nice, but I think so few people would use them that it isn’t worth the US$10 to $15 it would cost just for the part (50% price increase for the arduino!), plus most ZIF sockets are .600 wide (to accommodate .300 and .600 devices), which would require a board redesign. Oh, and the socket may well be so tall that shields don’t fit anymore.

I wanted a ZIF board myself, so I etched a simple PCB that’s basically an arduino serial with the RS232 transistors replaced with a MAX232, a crystal, ICSP header, power supply, and pretty much everything else left off the board.

It would probably be possible to come up with a narrow ZIF socket (or at least an adapter board for a wide ZIF) that you could simply plug into the standard DIP socket on the board. Hmm, Digikey doesn’t seem to list any narrow 28 pin DIP ZIFs in stock; they may not be as common as I thought.

-j

It'd be pretty neat to have a "device programmer shield" that could program other arduinos, assorted other microcontrollers, assorted eeproms, maybe gals and such...

Yeah, I thought of that very thing when I found the "use your arduino as a programmer" article, but I never could make it work. I gave up and bought an avrispmkII.

-j

RedLion, Your chips probably aren't ruined. There are a variety of reasons why the bootloaders seem to become corrupted. Try reprogramming the bootloader if you have the hardware. I do that for people for free if you want to send them to me at moderndevice.com

As to zif sockets. I have several Bare Bones boards that I've hardwired zif sockets in for this purpose, using some header pins for a "slant 28" look. (The available sockets all seem to be .600 spacing) Brian Riley at wulfden.org is also thinking about putting together a zif socket kit, with a little adapter he designed. Maybe send him some email if you're interested.

I also think that the Arduino to Arduino programmer is a good idea and we need to work on the tech a little more to get it figured out.

Paul

Ive been thinking about the ZIF socket for awhile. I often have individual pcbs fabricated for pieces but never include any sort of programming on these dedicated boards. So I find myself, plugging in the atmega168 into the arduino to program and then swapping it into the dedicated board.

I was thinking a full on development board would be cool... everything the Diecimila has plus a ZIF socket and breadboard! Mouser has the .300" ZIF socket that would work for our chips.

If only I had the time... Brian

I'm thinking just a DIP to ZIF adaptor would do the trick. Makes it tall but it probably wouldnt be too much of a problem since the chip will be moved around anyway.

I can’t see there being much demand for this, but it raises another point. Why can’t we buy official Arduino’s in kit for, maybe with the SMD parts premounted. That would at least allow the OP the option to have a ZIF model if he wants to build it that way.

IMO, it’s not that hard to pull a chip out of a socket one time to move it to a new host.

This sounds exactly like the ZIFduino project.