I currently use the ZMPT101B voltage sensor with the Arduino Nano. I’m thinking about migrating my entire setup to the ESP32 board. Can I just connect the ZMPT101B directly to the ESP32? I’m afraid the ZMPT101B might have too high voltage for the ESP32?
the ZMPT101B specification states "5V to 30V DC to power the OpAmp IC" and "Analog output in the range 0V to VCC with a DC offset of VCC/2. " - the ESP32 uses 3.3V logic
you can try running VCC off 3.3V but if fails try a potential divider 1K/2K on the ESP32 ADC input
I tend to use the pzem-004t-v3 voltage, current, power, energy, frequency, Power factor sensor which has a serial interface which works OK with the ESP32, e.g. some results
PZEMsensor meter
voltage current voltage current
247 0 245 0
209 3.92 210 3.83
181 6.72 181 6.5
I’ve seen videos on YouTube where they power the ZMPT101B through the 5V pin of the ESP32. Do you think if the ZMPT101B analog output exceeds 3.3V, will this damage the corresponding ESP32 pin?
yes, if you directly connect the ZMPT101B analog output to a ESP32 ADC - if powering from 5V use a potential divider
Ok, I will do that. The guys on Youtube just directly feed the ZMPT101B with 5V and don’t use a divider for the signal output. I guess they do that because their setup is just for show, they won’t actually use it daily?
a 3.3V logic device input when connected to a 5V logic signal my die immediately, last 10 seconds, 10 minutes, 10 years or for ever
unless a 3.3V logic device input is specified as 5V tolerant it is recommended to use a level converter or potential divider