MCUFRIEND_kbv Library for Uno 2.4, 2.8, 3.5, 3.6, 3.95 inch mcufriend Shields

david_prentice:
Read #1373 (and #1225 for an explanation).

Or just Search in your Browser for "USE_MEGA_16BIT_SHIELD" in this thread.

It is 2 edits to use a SPECIAL with a readable shield.
i.e. USE_SPECIAL and USE_SPECIFIC_SPECIAL

It is 3 different edits to use a SPECIAL with a write-only shield.
i.e. you must force tft.begin(ID) in each sketch

David.

Thank you, now it works, somehow.

I finally found

#define USE_SPECIAL //check for custom drivers

in

mcufriend_shield.h

#define USE_MEGA_16BIT_SHIELD //RD on PL6 (D43)

in

mcufriend_special.h

The image is mirrored horizontally, and the colors seem wrong.
But this has already been covered, I will add these changes also.

Thank you.

Jean-Marc

Hi. You I have somehow helped to ride my ili9488 3.95 TFT display for Arduino UNO. I was tormented by the question? How to operate external devices with the aid of this ARDUINO? if all the pins designed for this display? Will I be able to organize data transfer from this Board to another Board using the RX/TX, as I understand it they are not used by this display.

I think thise shields are somewat like in this picture.

Perhaps users who know better might tell us exactly.

The Shield does not use Serial RX, TX i.e. Digital #0, #1.
It does not use Analog #5.

If you do not use the microSD, you have D10, D11, D12, D13 too.

David.

Thanks.

david_prentice:
My CTE TFT LCD /SD Shield for Arduino Due has a Jumper for 3.3V / 5V.

Yes, it appears that the ElecFreaks V2.0 schematic does not seem to have a 3.3V regulator.
But photos show a regulator.

There are photos of v2.2 that also seem to have a regulator.
I can not find a schematic.

I suggest that you trace the Adapter pcb that you have on your desk.
Is there a 3.3V regulator? Is there a jumper or solder-bridge to select 3.3V / 5V.

David.

Indeed, the 3.3V regulator does not appear on the diagram.

Here is a picture of my shield which has a 3.3V regulator, it is the one that sends 5V on pin 2, but it is easy to modify it by cutting a track of the printed circuit and adding a thread that leaves of the 3.3V regulator to the track of the circuit that was driving the 5V that was cut.

Picture 2 shows the area to be changed surrounded in red.
I will modify it and I would post a photo of the modification when I would have done it.

ZinggJM:
So I will need to consult the specs of the SSD1963, but I assume that

5V SHOULD NOT BE SUPPLIED TO THE 3.3V PIN

as is done by this adapter shield.

Jean-Marc

Before I realized of this I tested the screen and it worked normally.
But I doubt that it works very long like this ...

ZinggJM:
Thank you, now it works, somehow.
I finally found

The image is mirrored horizontally, and the colors seem wrong.
But this has already been covered, I will add these changes also.

Thank you.

Jean-Marc

Regarding the mirrored display look at this

pionscor:
When I say the screen worked I mean it found the red color that was missing.
But the display was mirrored.

To correct this I had to modify the line 1046 of the file MCUFRIEND_kbv.cpp as below

Of origin
_lcd_capable = AUTO_READINC | MIPI_DCS_REV1 | READ_NODUMMY | INVERT_SS | INVERT_RGB;
Towards
_lcd_capable = AUTO_READINC | MIPI_DCS_REV1 | READ_NODUMMY | INVERT_RGB;

François

The regulator may not be on the schematic, but it must be connected somewhere. There are only 3 resistors / capacitors near the regulator.

It should be simple to trace the connections, read the regulator part number, read the resistor values.

I suspect that these components do have a purpose. The regulator is fairly chunky with a large copper heatsink area. I can guess how and why it is there. Only you can actually investigate.

The other mystery is: why is there v2.0 and v2.2 pcb? What is the difference?

I looked at the SSD1963 datasheet. I can't see any Manufacturer configuration registers for BGR or SS on the Panel. So you have to rely on User register (0x36) for this. i.e. changing the attributes exactly like you have done.

If Graham Lawrence is reading this, he might know about the 5 inch and 7 inch differences.
The main idea behind the library was to detect and use the correct controller automatically.
Ok, this is not possible with write-only hardware. But it would be nice to select 480x272, 800x480, 800x480ALT as a one-line edit or define rather than several.

David.

@David

The regulator is just left out on the schematics, I believe.
It is used for the 3.3V supply of the chips on the shield, and for the 3.3V to the display LED connector.

@François

Thank you for the information.
MCUFRIEND_kbv works fine with my display, after I had applied the changes you had posted.

I will cut the trace, and add a connector to supply the pin from Arduino 3.3V.

I use this shield just to get started. I will finally use a GxIO class for connection to a STM32C8T6.

The BluePill with connector for the display will receive text for display over UART from a Wemos D1 mini.
The Touch overlay SPI connection may also be connected to the ESP8266, for the "Mailbox" button,
to reset the detection flag from a PIR sensor.

Thank you for the collaboration, it helps me get a faster start with this display.

Jean-Marc

@Jean-Marc,

It is still worth tracing the regulator connections. From the (unclear) photo, it looks like three R, one C, one empty footprint. I bet that some of the resistors are 0R. And the empty footprint is related.

If my "bet" is correct, you would simply change an 0R (wire link) to provide 3.3V or 5V on pin#2.
Only someone that owns the v2.0 or v2.2 Adapter can verify my guesswork.

Yes, I am horrified by the lack of accurate documentation.
And that the SSD1289 / ILI9341 style of 40-pin display expects 5V whereas the SSD1963 40-pin display needs 3.3V.

Especially since the SSD1963 "big" displays are a lot more expensive.

I am not sure of your STM32 intentions. You could use a BluePill to receive high level Graphics commands via SPI. And subsequently drive the SSD1963 via its 8080-16 interface. i.e. create an intelligent display.
Quite honestly, it would be simpler to just use a RA8875 display in the first place. It will give a better performance.

David.

Hi David

I don't know how you say that in English, and am too lazy to look it up: for me the path is more important, more interesting, than the goal itself.

So I play with different displays, RA8875 - Waveshare 7inch, works fine with SPI, and my Ruijia Industry "Tiky" display works with different processors, one of them a BluePill backpack.
It runs the graphics test so far, the data feed will be added.

Jean-Marc

I am not sure what your JPEG represents. It looks like "letterbox" style e.g. 480x272.

I am a hobbyist too. If something interests me, I might investigate.

Since both you and pionscor have raised the subject of the ElecFreaks V2.2 Adapter, I am fascinated by the "missing schematic".

It would take you about 10 minutes with a DMM to determine the regulator connections.
Reading a "0" on a SMD resistor would only take seconds.

I am always loath to cut pcb tracks. Especially when the pcb designer has already provided facilities for swapping an 0R. i.e. an official way to configure 3.3V / 5V.

David.

Ok, I will do the measuring and tracing, a little later.

I do not know what JPEG you are referring to; the last picture posted is the "Tiky" 5inch 854x480 display.
The one I bought, with resistive touch layer, is no longer available, but there are several such 5inch displays with or without capacitive touch layer. I have posted a link in this topic, I believe.
My profile picture is horizontally distorted to fit, it is a regular HVGA MEGA display on a MEGA, with a ESP-01 on top, the thing that looks like a chimney.

Jean-Marc

I just discovered that my 5inch display is available again. You may also look for the capacitive version.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-0-inch-HD-IPS-TFT-LCD-module-resistance-touch-with-PCB-adapter-board-854-480/32666829945.html

Jean-Marc

And the MEGA adapter shield is available for bargain price. Maybe not surprisingly.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TFT-3-2-4-3-5-0-7-0-Mega-touch-LCD-Shield-Expansion-board-Module/32238738721.html

Your link shows a "better" photo of the Adapter Shield. I still can't tell whether all the SMD resistors and capacitors are mounted or not. Your eyes could.

I presume that you bought the LCD+RTP+PCB @ $27.96 with the STM32 Evaluation Board @ $14.99.
There is no indication of which controller is present. I am guessing SSD1963 ???

The 40-pin pinout is completely different to the regular ILI9341 or SSD1963 40-pin screens.

I am not phased by a STM32 board without documentation. But I have zero interest in something that is only compatible with that particular LCD. i.e. I could not plug it into my 800x480 screen.

David.

david_prentice:
Your link shows a "better" photo of the Adapter Shield. I still can't tell whether all the SMD resistors and capacitors are mounted or not. Your eyes could.

I presume that you bought the LCD+RTP+PCB @ $27.96 with the STM32 Evaluation Board @ $14.99.
There is no indication of which controller is present. I am guessing SSD1963 ???

The 40-pin pinout is completely different to the regular ILI9341 or SSD1963 40-pin screens.

I am not phased by a STM32 board without documentation. But I have zero interest in something that is only compatible with that particular LCD. i.e. I could not plug it into my 800x480 screen.

David.

Hi David

Your interest in this adapter shield seems REALLY intense.
So I disconnected it from my test setup for checking rotation for my GxCTRL_SSD1962 class.
Seems I could not decipher the rotation code of MCUFRIEND_kbv.cpp correctly so far.

Here are the results:

On the left side (towards connector) of the AMS1117 T33 D47HC (nearly undecipherable)
there is a resistor marked 100 measured 11, the resistor connected to the LED pin.
Below is a open solder bridge, left side connected to 5V pin, right side to the output of the regulator.
So the solder bridge allows modification for 5V logic output, for 5V logic display.
The 2 devices on the right side of the regulator seem to be capacitors.

The controller of my 5inch display is a ILI9806.

Do you remember my topic about this display? see

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=453688.0

Jean-Marc

I would guess that if you make the open solder-bridge, it may route the 3.3V from the regulator output.
I presume that you must open another bridge if 5V is currently routed to pin #2.

Ah-ha. So you have an ILI9806. I have never seen one.

It should be easy enough to support with MCUFRIEND_kbv.
Personally, I would use Due or STM32 which have 3.3V logic. And connect the RD line.

Most Mega Adapters are write-only. Which makes the display useless (IMHO).

David.

David

I re-state that the Vcc pin on the display connector is connected directly to the 5V Arduino pin.

There is no other solder bridge on the adapter shield, the only - open - bridge is for 5V logic to the display.

My display class with my GxCTRL_ILI9806 class and one of several GxIO classes for Tiky works well with my 5inch 480x854 display.

If you are interested in an example for a ILI9806 class with init sequence, you may soon find it on my GitHub entry GxTFT, which is "under construction". The part that I added so far is to show the design; the names of the GxIO subclasses will change, now that I know more about shields and adapter shields.

Jean-Marc

The story of this shield is very strange.

Here is the picture that shows Elecfreaks, we see on the shield the marking of version v2.2 :

On the selling link of the shield, is written at the top right of the page :

LCD TFT01 Arduino Mega Shield v2.0 SHD10

All this is not very clear.
Picture of the item for sale v2.2, descriptive of the item for sale v2.0 ??

My shield marked v2.2 is in all points identical to the diagram that I have, this diagram and that of version v2.0 ??

We do not find diagram of the v2.2 release ??
Does version v2.2 really exist ??

david_prentice:
My CTE TFT LCD /SD Shield for Arduino Due has a Jumper for 3.3V / 5V.

Yes, it appears that the ElecFreaks V2.0 schematic does not seem to have a 3.3V regulator.
But photos show a regulator.

There are photos of v2.2 that also seem to have a regulator.
I can not find a schematic.

I suggest that you trace the Adapter pcb that you have on your desk.
Is there a 3.3V regulator? Is there a jumper or solder-bridge to select 3.3V / 5V.

David.

I checked the connections and I agree with what Jean-Marc said.

Regulator = AMS1117 3.3v

The 10 ohm resistance ranges from the 3.3 volt output of the regulator to the LED pin for backlighting of the display.
(We see it on the diagram v2.0)

The capacitors around the regulator are the usual filter capacitors.
(Of the side 5 volts only)

The jumper next to the regulator serves as already said Jean-Marc to bypass (shortcircuit) the regulator and switch the power supply from 3,3 volts to 5 volts.

There are 4 of the 5 HC541s that are powered in 3.3 volts.
(For display and SD card)

The fifth HC541 (the one on top of the picture) is powered in 5 volts, this HC541 handles the signals from the touch screen and SD card MISO (SD Out).

David
Would not it be better to power the HC541 of the touch screen and SD card MISO (SD Out) in 3.3 volts ?
What do you think?

Thank you very much.
François

To add to the strange story of that shield, I found:

"TFT 3.2 inch Mega Touch LCD Expansion Board Shield IC partial pressure For arduino Mega 2560 R3"

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TFT-3-2-inch-Mega-Touch-LCD-Expansion-Board-Shield-IC-partial-pressure-for-arduino-Mega/32340683681.html

"partial pressure" is strange; I didn't try other languages, but it may mean that the imprint is incomplete.

Jean-Marc