New shield: Arduino Lab - Logic analyzer / Signal generator

We just announced the new Arduino shield: Arduino Lab - multi-functional logic analyzer and digital signal generator.
Simply place it on your Arduino and see all digital signals on the computer screen. It also can decode UART, SPI, I2C and 1-Wire interfaces.

The software is the same as HobbyLab's Disco oscilloscope/logic analyzer device and included in the price.

Looks very good for that price!

I have mailed Jon Oxer of shieldlist.org for inclusion in his list

Q: How to order this in Europe (Netherlands) - shipping etc?

Nice job.

I started a design to do almost exactly the same thing a while back, I dropped it in favour of other stuff, glad I did now because yours looks pretty good.

I'll download the docs and have a good look. Any schematics?

Rob

Thank you for your interest in the device!

>Q: How to order this in Europe (Netherlands) - shipping etc?
Arduino Lab can be ordered using this link:
https://securedwithssl.com/hobbylab-us/product.aspx?id=39

>Any schematics?
The schematic is pretty trivial - the core is C8051F320 microcontroller with diodes and resistors on each bus pin.

I'd buy one of these in an instant, if it ran on something other than Windows. Where's the love for those of us on the Mac or Linux? That's the thing that drew me to the Arduino, was the fact that I wouldn't be tied to any one platform. It virtually guarantees this by use of open-source tools and a java codebase.

So, yet another just pirate thingie?
Why do people keep re-inventing the wheel instead of improving it?

Senso:
So, yet another just pirate thingie?
Why do people keep re-inventing the wheel instead of improving it?

You could say that about just any product on earth, I suppose. The answer is, of course, to make a profit (and maybe a living) by taking a piece of market share. Basic capitalism.

I do like this offering's software suite (at least the screenshots look nice); not that it ultimately matters in my case, since I use Ubuntu (and unless this thing works well under Wine or Mono - it will be a no-go for me).

So @hobbyLab - have you tested it under Wine (or Mono - if you developed the software in .NET)? Knowing that it worked in at least one of those environments might sway me some...?

:wink:

yet another just pirate thingie?

Yes and no, one advantage this has is that (I gather) you can just plug onto an Arduino and go, no mucking around with wires.

Rob

too bad they couldn't have developed the software with Qt, so it was cross-platform. Lost a sale here.

too bad they couldn't have developed the software with Qt

I started a GUI in Qt for my LA board, it seemed like the best cross-platform option out there.

Rob

@Rob

is QT a free platform?

Yep, just download and start coding. AFIAK it's all open source and free to use and distribute the compiled app but I didn't look real close.

I've only played with it but i think it's pretty nice, I got a simple multi-pane app running, it did bugger all but I could resize the panes.

Rob

robtillaart:
is QT a free platform?

There is now an open-source compatible license available, which wasn't always the case.