16x2 lcd 2 lines of text control

Hi, please forgive what may be noob questions but I am new to arduino, coding and many other programming things but have got a good knowledge of components, circuitry and a great amount of electrical experience ( mainly automotive ) and am trying to make a 16x2 lcd( Hitachi HD44780 ) display the following text:
initially i want the first line to display the car you are in, IE: “Sam’s Fairmont”
and the second line to display “SEAT BELTS!!” but have the second line flash on/off with the first line staying on constantly. the problem is i can only make both lines flash together or neither of them flash! this is the code i am using to have both lines constantly on

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

void setup() {
lcd.begin(16, 2);
lcd.setCursor(1, 0);
lcd.print(“Sam’s Fairmont”);
}

void loop() {
lcd.setCursor(2, 1);
lcd.print(“SEAT BELTS!!”);
}

once these 2 lines have been displayed for a preset time ( perhaps 5-10 seconds ) I want them to be replaced with the first line showing a gear position indicator “GEAR: (Park, Neutral, Reverse, 1, 2, 3, 4 )” and the second line to display time “12:00 am/pm” and outside temperature “XX oC”
i know how to display gear, time and temp but would like help on how to have the first 2 lines act as i wish before the second 2 lines are displayed and stay on continually until the vehicle is switched off. thanks in advance for helping a nooooooooob!

Off the cuff I'd say write line 2 text, delay, write line 2 with sixteen spaces, delay, repeat.

. . . initially i want the first line to display the car you are in, IE: “Sam’s Fairmont”
and the second line to display “SEAT BELTS!!” but have the second line flash on/off with the first line staying on constantly. the problem is i can only make both lines flash together or neither of them flash! this is the code i am using to have both lines constantly on . . .

This part is easy. In loop():

• Add a delay corresponding to how long you want the message displayed.
  • Reposition the cursor and then display enough ‘spaces’ to obliterate your message.
  • Add a delay corresponding to how long you want the line to be blank.

To get ready for the next part you want to redo the above but instead of a delay you want to use the techniques in the tutorial “Blink without Delay”.

Don

EDIT: Doug types faster than I do.