2 line LCD display: can't figure out pinout [SOLVED]

Hi - I’m very new to arduino. I sas given an UNO and a 2 line LCD pinout and am trying to figure out how to connect them. But the pins aren’t numbered on the LCD (see photos below). Is pin #1 on the left and # 16 on the right or vice versa?

I am trying to follow the wiring diagram and use the code provided here:
http://garagelab.com/profiles/blogs/tutorial-basic-16x2-lcd-with-arduino

Is there a better reference for working with the display? The LCD is not explained in the “getting started with arduino” book.

AFAIK the UNO itself is working; I am able to upload simple programs to it like making a light blink, and dimming it with PWM and those functions work. Also I can use the UNO to print output to the serial display window on my PC monitor.

If you have the pin definitions, look for the ground pin and try and find it among the pins. Ground is usually connected to the ground plane and is easy to find. Once you have that the rest should fall out easily enough.

But the pins aren't numbered on the LCD (see photos below). Is pin #1 on the left and # 16 on the right or vice versa?

The pins ARE numbered, look closely, it goes 15, 16, 1 - 14. Look at the backside image, left to right.

Is pin #1 on the left and # 16 on the right or vice versa?

In your case the pins do not run sequentially and, as pointed out previously, pins 1 and 16 are not at either end so the answer to your question is NO.

You have to be very careful with displays that have their pins below and to the left of the display as the pinout is typically non-standard. The individual pins each have the expected function as determined by the pin number but their location with respect to the other pins varies.

Don

Oh… duh…

hazardsmind… thanks for pointing out that numbering scheme. I saw the number 15161 but thought it was a serial number or something. Not a 15-16-1.

Thank you all!

David