2 series motors in parallel

I’m converting a golf cart to 4x4. I am planning to use one controller for the two series motors. I am planning to connect the two motors in parallel. One motor will have a solenoid between the controllers m- (how it controls the speed pwm output) this will prevent that motor from running unless the solenoid is engaged. I know the speeds will not be exactly the same so the motors will be fighting one another to some extent, but the only time it would be engaged is if there was a situation in which the rear wheels were spinning. So it wouldn’t be traveling at the correct speed anyway.

I am attaching a diagram. Will this work? I understand there will be some issues, but will both motors spin if the 4x4 solenoid is engaged and only one motor spin if the same solenoid is disengaged?

Thanks!

You really need to be more forthcoming with identifying the components you want to use. A solenoid describes a cylindrical coil of wire. What exactly do you have? Is it a coil driving a switch or a coil driving a pin to lock two moving pieces?
What is powering your design?

1 Like

I don't really understand what you're trying to do, especially the purpose of that solenoid (does it operate a switch or so?) and this "reversing controller". I'm also wondering why each motor has four connections, rather than the more common two (or three in case of a brushless motor).

About the motor speeds: when going through a corner, the inside wheels have to run slower than the outside wheels. If each wheel has their own motor, that will be just fine: the one on the inside meets more resistance, thus will run a little slower, and vice versa for the outer motor.

Running two motors in parallel means double the current for the motor controller; it will have to be up to the job. Then there's the issue of over current, if one wheel gets stuck for whatever reason you may burn the motor if the current is not cut.

Ok. A little more info. Two motors two differentials/axles. Only one wheel per differential will spin (the wheel with the least resistance spins in golf carts) the “solenoid” I guess I would be more correct in calling a contactor. Like this:

48V Golf Cart Solenoid 4 Terminal Solenoid Coil Replacement for Club Car 95-Up DS and 04-Up Precedent Golf Carts 101908701 102774701 5722 https://a.co/d/6rrlPc7

The “solenoid” simply engages by connecting small current to the coil of wire you are referring to and creates a magnetic force which moves a large copper disk that connects two high high amperage wires. In my schematic that would disconnect/connect the battery negative that is being controlled by the motor controller from the second motor.

The reversing contractor is similar, but is DPDT. So that it can switch the direction forward/reverse. These are common in golf carts as well.

Solarhome New SW202 Solenoid Reversing Contactor Compatible with Albright Electric 24V 400A Albright 72V 80V Coil 400A Reversing Contactor Golf Cart Electric Vehicle Material Handling https://a.co/d/g2uFZBl

The reversing contactor will be controlled by a spdt toggle switch. The solenoid a spst toggle switch.

These are series wound motors. That is why there are 4 connectors. A1, A2, S1, S2 are the 4 terminals on the motor.

It will be powered by a 48v battery bank.

I see. The solenoid is actually a switch closed by a solenoid. Like an automobile starter. And the series wound motor has external field coil connections so the rotation can be reversed. Got it.
And you are running two motors simultaneously.
I don't see a problem, if your wire is large enough for the current. So test it!

1 Like

Ok. It will be a few days before my controller and parts come in but I’m gonna give it a shot. I’ll let you know. Thanks.

Do you have the necessary parts and crimping tools to make the cables?

Yes, I have 2 gauge cables and a 600 amp controller on the way.

I found a diagram of a 4wd cart that was wired for “4wd/auto” I am posting below. However, I don’t know how the controller works, and I can’t figure out what the difference in “auto” and “4wd” is. It appears to use similar parts to what I am planning, but I can’t figure out why they used the wire going from the front motor labeled S2 to the auto/4wd solenoid or the wire running from the front motors S1 to the same solenoid AND also connected to the S2 post of the rear motor. It appears to me if the A1 on the front motor is disconnected from the controller by that solenoid the front motor would not work. I don’t know why it is necessary to have the other connections.

However, the controller has “ A, F, and Af terminals. I have no idea how they function on this DSE1000 controller.

Any idea?

None, what so ever. Good luck.

I guess this is a stupid question, but after looking at the drawing of how that one is wired again, do they have the motors wired in series for “awd”?

I don’t know how two series motors would be connected to be in series with one another. How are two series motors wired in series?

If they were connected in series, if one driving motor faced resistance wouldn’t the other motor spin? Just trying to wrap my head around the difference in wiring two series motors in parallel vs series.

Edit: I assume it would be something like:

A2 — A1 — S1 —-S2 —-A2 —A1—S1—S2