22 awg wire at 220v

Can i run 220v max 1A on 22AWG ethernet wire from the screw terminal on a pcb to the common pin of a relay, about 2cm ?

Is the wire rated for 220v ?

I don t know i believe not

You can find this out in less than the time it took you to write that post.

Google is your friend:

"The maximum amperage for a 22-gauge wire is . 92 amps for power transmission, according to the Handbook of Electronic Tables and Formulas for American Wire Gauge."

Also, you need to know the voltage rating of the insulation. As it's ethernet wire I wouldn't use it myself.

I found that on google but the ac voltage i was not sure if it can stands. I havo no ac insutated wire that fits in pcb holes

You really ought to run it between screw terminals.

To be honest, it all depends on how properly you want to do this. There are all sorts of rules for products that have mains voltages in them. For example, those exposed relay terminals wouldn't be allowed. If it's just for you, it's up to you to decide how much risk you are willing to take.

My relays pins doesn t fit in the holes and i places it on one side with the pins

Understood. But exposed terminals like that are inherently unsafe for anyone working on the circuit while it is live.

The relays are built so that the low voltage side (the actuating coil) and the switch contacts are kept apart, you need to follow the same logic.

The way you have the relays laid out, with the low voltage side wires right next to the high voltage wires is plain dangerous.

If you dont understand why there is a problem, then best not to play with mains stuff.

It will be shielded in a plastic case,in other case they are exposed underneath the pcb so they are anyway . I don't know how to fit a .5mmp stranded wire trought these holes

The common pin is right in betwen coil pins so is not wuite separated as the nc no pins are. The all board would be places on a wall so i also kept the vertically position of the relay if that matters

The board will controll some contactors in a box so they won t have any load on them

I just drilled a bigger hole

The reference I consulted said that 22AWG copper wire was ated for 5A when used alone. The rating goes down if there is more than one conductor in a cable. With 7 to 24 wires in a cable, each is rated for 2.1A

NO
Ethernet cable is not rated for 120 volts so even more dangerous on 220V.
A voltage spike on the 220 could easily puncture the insulation of an Ethernet cable turning the whole length of the wire into a heater or a igniter.

I ended up driling a hole in the pcb so that a stranded 0.75mmp wire could fit trought it and i added a lot of solder to make good conection

1 Like

Think you will find that pcb board would never pass any main rating anyhow.

I'm sure your right.

Since you started drilling anyways, why not rotate the relays properly? And make sure all 220V pins are on the same side!

IMHO the insulation on the ethernet wires melts too easily to be trusted at 220 Watts. It's just nylon, even at relatively low heat something lightly pressing against the wire could make it all the way to the metal core. You need rubber or better plastic instead.
Notice how i said Watts, not Volts. You can generate the same amount of heat regardless if its 220V@1A or 1V@220A.

Sure, 220V can penetrate insulation that 1V won't be able to. But that's about protection from electrocuting and leaks.