24 hour timer with a pulse output

I need to control a device to come on and off a couple of times a day, the problem is it's got a momentary switch, that you push down to turn on/off, so a conventional plug in timer won't work. I can open up the cover and attach a couple of wires onto the momentary switch terminals that i can connect to a relay output. My question is can i use Arduino to create something like this? I'm interested in learning how to program in Arduino as I can see a few uses for it in the future so any beginners guides etc you could point me to would be great. Also what sort of kit would i need?

I've found this project which looks similar i guess I could adapt it to use seconds instead of hours and just pulse it for 1 second to turn on and then again for 1 second to turn off. Any thoughts?

I've got a good understanding of Basic and Qbasic and I've also done a bit of C++ and Visual basic and HTML, but that was all long time ago.

Thanks again in advance.

My question is can i use Arduino to create something like this?

Yes.

Also what sort of kit would i need?

Any available starter kit would do it.

I can open up the cover and attach a couple of wires onto the momentary switch terminals that i can connect to a relay output.

You might have to test that. Not every device can be "automated" like this but most should work.

Thanks for the reply Pylon. I've already opened the cover and put a couple of wires onto the momentary switch. when i touch the wires together for a second and release it turns on and then again to turn off. Don't panic I checked the voltage at the switch and its only at 12V and a few mA so no danger of death!

With regards to a starter kit can anybody recommend one that contains the bits i need or i might juts go onto eBay and order the bits form the indestructibles project i linked in my previous post

Consider building a multiple alarm using an Arduino. Depending on accuracy you can add a RTC clock chip or just in software. There are libraries that will do most of the work for you. You could use a relay output to trigger your device.
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Gil

This device, for long duration counting, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZP9XTI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 does a pretty good job at delivering a trigger one every x moments of time.

The device does need a re-trigger to start its count down all over again. I use a mini-pro to detect the trigger, set outputs, and re-trigger for another count.