5V Relays on a esp8266?

hello I have 2 of the 5v Blue relays that you normally see come from eBay or amazon. I was wondering sense they need a 5V plus the trigger ping to turn on the relay to power them up and the ESP8266 only has 3.3v What should i do to be stable? I have tired to put the relay to 3.3v and having problem. I did put to a 5v Power ground and tied ground to the ESP of the 5v source. That seems to be okay. But if it safe enough or will it have problems to the ESP8266? Here is a image of my relay

Joseph

You have to power the module by its intended operating voltage (5V). Then the 3.3V signal level may be sufficient for proper operation of the module.

the modules work perfectly for me.
i remove the jd jumper , power the jd-vcc pin with 5v (vin from usb) , and the opto i/f vcc on the 4 pin connector from the 3.3v rail. (some say its ok to use 5v for this conn too, but 5v on 3v outputs makes me nervous)
works just like a bought one

racpi:
(some say its ok to use 5v for this conn too, but 5v on 3v outputs makes me nervous)

Opto also powered from 5volt shouldn't be a problem, because the opto LED and the indicator LED act as zener diodes, dropping 1.2volt+1.8volt= ~3volt before it reaches the ESP I/O pin.

Powering the optos also from 5volt should actually be more reliable (more opto current).
Leo..

Here's the diagram of the module, per relay.

You actually power the relay itself with 5 V connected directly from the power supply to "JD-VCC" and "GND". You conenct the ESP8266 I/O pins to the respective "IN" terminals, and "VCC" to the 5 V of the regulator which supplies the ESP8266 with 3.3 V. This is necessary as you have found, the opto-coupler and indicator diode in series will not operate reliably on merely 3.3 V

Generally you will use the same 5 V supply for the relays and the regulator supplying the ESP8266. What is important to avoid problems with switching transients, is that the "JD-VCC" and "GND" connections travel together as a pair to the final filter capacitor of the 5 V supply and separately from these, the "IN" and "VCC" connections travel as a group to the ESP8266 and the "VCC" connection travels from there back along with with the ground connection to the regulator where the 5 V terminal is.

It is all about keeping these two circuits separate, also away from the circuits which the relays themselves are switching and not forming loops between power and ground or signal and ground in each case.

Hello Thank you all for the help and information. It seems to be working now without any problem. When i tried to power the relay from 3.3v i was getting a rapid clicking non stop without it latching for some odd reason. When Powered it from 5v it latched with no problem and the ESP8266 seems to be working with no problem now.

Again thank you all for the help.

Joseph