8x8 led matrix please read..

I'm trying to do my own project with looking at the other project(below), but I don't have the 8x8 led matrix with the PCB.

http://www.bryanchung.net/?p=177

So I will do the project with this hardware(below).... can I still do the project with this hardware and given codes from the website above? And which wires do I need for this hardware?

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/759

A few things:

Bryan uses a parallel matrix (single color) w/ shift registers. Try this one: (it is dual color) http://www.sparkfun.com/products/681 The above matrix has 24 pins... Bryan uses shift registers (on the PCB) to turn that into 4 pins. 3 serial to parallel shift registers from sparkfun. Check out http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/2010/06/06/getting-started-with-arduino-%E2%80%93-chapter-nine/ for help wiring the shift registers up. On the matrix's product page, open up the datasheet. On pg. 2, you should see the pinout. Notice how you have red AND green leds... just ignore the green ones and you can follow bryan's tutorial.

Good Luck!

P.S. the matrix you mentioned is $30 more expensive. If you want, you could try Bryan's code with SPI, but I doubt it would work. He wrote it for shift registers.

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

But without the PCB with the 8x8 led matrix, I can't do the project right? I have to use arduino with processing. If I see Bryan's web, he used both. That's why I want to do the project.

And you said you doubt it would work.... you think it's not going to work? He used for shift register then what should i do with SPI? And which wires specifically do I need if I use the 8x8 led matrix with backpack from the sparkfun website, and which else do I need?

All that is on the PCB is a matrix and some shift registers. You can emulate this on your breadboard. The PCB has nothing to do with processing, as long as you wire everything correctly it will work.

The problem is that the matrix uses “SPI” or “Serial Peripheral Interface.” This is one type of Serial communication. There are other types, such as I2C and USB. All of the aforementioned serial connections are standards: there are certain ways they work and certain ways that you must send data. The “serial” that shift registers uses is very loose if you will… it is not standardized in any way.
Do you already have the SPI matrix? If you do, here are you choices:
-Take the matrix off the backpack.
-Be adventurous and modify the code to work with SPI.

Tell me which one you want to do and I can try to help.

baum, thank you so much!

So, you mean if I use the given codes to the 8x8 led matrix with backpack from sparkfun, it won't work right?

The point is that I just started to know about arduino and processing and my plan was that to see how it works after I finish my own project with looking at the website.

But I don't really know how to do with SPI and if I take it off, everything such as given codes and connecting wire stuffs will be changed, then it will be too hard for me to do the project...

If i just have 8x8 led matrix without PCB, can you help me how to code for both arduino and processing ( I want to use both, not just arduino) and how to connect the wires to the breadboard?

I just want to start asap.. lol it's been like a week to think about this....

To help you out, I need to know what you have. Do you have an matrixes yet? If so, which ones? If not, I'll tell you what to buy.

Not yet. By the way I just found that four 8x8 matrixes have to be connected in one out so that the drawing on the matrix can be seen clearly.

Would you please tell me what I need and what I have to do asap?

I will send you my email address thru this website's message. Thank you again baum.

I didn't order 8x8 led matrix(8 x 8 Bicolor 64 LED Dot-Matrix Displays 3mm) yet. But the sensor that I have now is 74HC595. And I also have a breadboard.

All, thanks for this post; I'm engaging the same project. Inspired by Bryan Chung's code, I'm developing a processing code to play to a matrix (the RG Serial Backpack by Sparkfun mentioned above). Any progress on your project so far? Please share.

I'm leaning on learning SPI, I seems like it would be more efficient than byte-shifting. I just want the serial data to flow from the computer (webcam host) through the arduino, to the SPI backpack. Does this seem like good logic? Also, hoping to learn more about SPI. Do y'all know any good SPI projects to explore that may help lead to the same conclusion Bryan was able to make through his construction?

Thx