a decibal sensor

I am a trumpet player and one saying that runs threw the section to pump the milk. I was thinking of making a device that when you reach a certain decibal level when playing a message on a screen will come up and say pump the milk. I need help figuring out the coding and the wiring for it .I was thinking of using a sound sensor like the one I used im my sound activated leds and a ardiuno uno.

It is not as easy as you think. The arduino only has a 10 bit A/D converter, and that limits the range of decibels it can cover.

Basically with 5V out of your sensor you get the maximum reading from the converter.

You can add an amplifier to measure sound but without a decibel meter to calibrate there is no way to adjust it to the right level even if the circuit were capable of detecting it. There are amplifiers available from Sparkfun and Adafruit but you need to make sure to get one with enough gain. Others have said these amplifiers are capable of detecting voice level sound.

[OT] decibal = a cannibal decibel [/OT]

I don't know what this means. (is this on the level or some kind of joke ?)

raschemmel:

I don't know what it means either. But then again I don't always know what you mean sometimes. ;)

I don't know what it means either. But then again I don't always know what you mean sometimes. smiley-wink

Oh, so it's like THAT huh ? :~

raschemmel:

I don't know what it means either. But then again I don't always know what you mean sometimes. smiley-wink

Oh, so it's like THAT huh ? :~

What, no sense of humor? Arduinoing is suppose to be fun. ;)

raschemmel:

I don't know what decibal are, sorry.

thexeno:

raschemmel:

I don't know what decibal are, sorry.

Here let me help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

What, no sense of humor? Arduinoing is suppose to be fun. smiley-wink

It's fun for us because we know what we are doing (or think we do... XD) . It often sounds like these Newbies are in some kind of arduino Hell , where they send people who are too lazy to use Google or datasheets......

retrolefty:

thexeno:

raschemmel:

I don’t know what this means. (is this on the level or some kind of joke ?)

I don’t know what decibal are, sorry.

Here let me help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

I know what decibel are. I don’t know what decibal are. Sorry. :grin:

But, get back in topic now… 8)

I know what decibel are. I don't know what decibal are. Sorry

Why did you post the question if it is not related to the topic ?

I figured I would need a ampilifier because I am also into av and stuff so ineed to get a amplifier to amplifie the decibel level so it can pick up the load nose of a trumpet

So I was looking at amps and found https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9456

raschemmel:

I know what decibel are. I don't know what decibal are. Sorry

Why did you post the question if it is not related to the topic ?

Are you serious? but ok, it's because @notjohn13 used the term "decibal" more times and I wanted to kindly enlight him about his error, with a bit of sarcasm that you just killed.

BUT what's important is the message, one need to know and use the right terms. Now he knows. ;)

I figured I would need a ampilifier because I am also into av and stuff so ineed to get a amplifier to amplifie the voltage so I can get a sensor that is powerfull anough to pick up the sound

Yes, you have the right idea. I was saying that you can get a breakout board with the amplifier (LM358) built in from Adafruit and Sparkfun. Others have said it is sensitive enough to pick up talking nearby using only a piezo mic which is the cheapest mic
in the world I think. If you actually had a “real” microphone (the kind used for stage perfomances) the quality would be much better.

So I can use a breakout board wth the built in amp then wire the mic in or is the nic built in to

One approach to making an Arduino-based sound level meter that records in dB (which is a logarithmic measure) is to use an operational amplifier with logarithmic gain as part of the microphone preamplifier. An example of a logarithmic amplifier circuit is shown here: Log amplifier - Wikipedia but keep in mind that more is required: the log amp works only on positive input voltages. More discussion on biasing can be found here: http://gasstationwithoutpumps.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/logarithmic-amplifier/

The LM358 linked in the previous post will be fine for this. This approach helps to get around the 10 bit limitation of the built in ADC. Once the final circuit is working properly, it will need to be calibrated by comparison to a commercial sound level meter.

If I use the opamp breakout how would I connect it to the ardiuno uno would I connect the ground pin on the opamp to a ground pin on the ardiuno and the 5v pin on the ardino to the in pin on the breakout board and the mic to the out pin on the opamp.