about custom made arduino

Hi i just made a board based on arduino pro mini, i'm using an atmega328 (not the p )and modified the file avrdude.conf to program my chip. I've already burn the bootloader and programmed a blink and serial communication sketch, but i've been using the upload using programme. I'd like to know if i can avoid using the programmer like the lilypad does but i'm not sure where to start, do i need a different bootloader? or is it even possible?

Upload Using Programmer overwrites the bootloader. Put one back on, and acquire an FTDI Basic, I've been using one from here www.tinyosshop.com then you can download via the IDE's verify/upload button.

Hey CrossRoads, thanks for the answer, but still can't upload without using a programmer, i got this message when using the verify/upload button:

avrdude: ser_setspeed(): tcsetattr() failed
avrdude: ser_open(): can't set attributes for device "/dev/tty.usbserial-AD01TQDA": Invalid argument
ioctl("TIOCMGET"): Bad file descriptor
avrdude: ser_close(): can't reset attributes for device: Bad file descriptor

Looks like Linux - can't help you there, I'm only familiar with windows.

:frowning: Thanks CrossRoads

Solved the problem, i'm using an ftdi basic and in my custom arduino board i did not wire CTS and GND together, that was the problem now i can upload my sketches directly into the board. Oh btw i had to change the signature again back to it's original state.

cool.